• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

1st Time for New Seats

killeroy154

Survivalist
We took the canoe out this morning to try out the new seats, and I needed the extra paddle power to get up stream to check out a possible camping spot. This part of the local river is wide, shallow and swift, and I knew she was up to the challenge. We paddled up stream and followed along on the left side of the island up to the up stream end.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

killeroy154

Survivalist
Thank you both. I need a back rest for my seats hmm maybe I think up something.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...I have a canoe seat - there is a lot on the market, it all depends on the style that best suits you.

upload_2018-6-15_21-25-27.jpeg

This one folds up nicely and is easily packed away. I have canoe wheels to take my loaded canoe from the van down to the river. I found that helpful too.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Yes I do have the seats like that and the dolly wheels. I use them once in awhile, but I thought about making some back rests that look like these, or similar. The dolly wheels are sure handy instead of carry the canoe. I found a place where I can leisurely spend 4 or 5 hours on the river, and then put my dolly wheels on and it's maybe a mile or so on a trail back to the vehicle. Plus I get some exercise. Of course getting through a thick grass field is a bit rough.
Screenshot_2018-05-23-01-55-26-1.jpeg
20180316_140458-1.jpeg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...your seat is "more good". I just don't have the skill and need to rely on the manufacturer to come up with something good looking and expensive. :(

killeroy154

Survivalist
Making little progress. I have some sawmill cut cherry wood in my basement, and it is a little lighter, in weight, then the oak I used for the seats. I first made a template from some scrap wood. Using masking tape and cardboard, I cut and altered the scrap piece so it would fit nicely to the seat. Then I traced around it on the wood I selected. I have yet to figure out the hinge pin mechanism. I thought I would attach an adjustable strap from frame to back rest frame, so I could recline the seat for comfort. After I figure out the hinge, I'll be ready to sand, apply finish and weave the cane. What I like most about it is it's reversible. I can switch it around for when I go solo.
20180622_193613.jpeg
20180624_151445-1.jpeg

killeroy154

Survivalist
The seat backrest is done. It is removable and reversible. When I make another one, for the stern seat, I will make it a little lower and narrower. But I'm happy with the results.
20180701_125044.jpeg

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
That's a classy seat for a canoe. I didn't know that there is a special seat that you can buy because over here the seat is just the plank of wood and nothing fancy. But I guess you have those special seats for comfort which is expensive. How I would like to ride in that canoe just to take my selfie on that canoe seat.