• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

A stranger in the campsite

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
Have you been to a campsite that is alien to you like you don’t know anything? It is a great challenge is you will consider the dangers that might be lurking. How about the rebels or criminal elements? And not to forget the wild animals that can harm you. There’s also the chance of unfriendly locals that may ruin your trip. In short, you need to make a research on the campsite so you can be prepared on what to bring, how to act and what to expect.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Have you been to a campsite that is alien to you like you don’t know anything? It is a great challenge is you will consider the dangers that might be lurking. How about the rebels or criminal elements? And not to forget the wild animals that can harm you. There’s also the chance of unfriendly locals that may ruin your trip. In short, you need to make a research on the campsite so you can be prepared on what to bring, how to act and what to expect.
I remember in the 90's gear theft escalated. Suddenly you were half afraid to leave your camp site. No wonder, tents @$800 or more, sleeping bags@$500, back packs nearing $250+ it was a quick profit for someone to slip in, load up and walk off with, then selling the stuff at reduced prices just to make a quick buck. I don't know today's statistics, but, my feeling is theft is less prevalent. Physical crime has never been anything I've experienced or heard anyone I've known talk about. Every great once in awhile you come across a knot head, usually do to liquid over indulgence, but mostly even that is just loud lip service. I feel safe when I'm out there, from people anyway. I've only had one bad experience with animals in all the years out there, a bear one time got close and personal while I was in my hammock sleeping, nothing happened to me, but be scared the living poop out of me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Actually, I believe the increase in theft was in the mid 80's more than in the 90's.

rz3300

Explorer
This can certainly be a creepy experience, and hopefully you are prepared. I cannot really say that we have had this, but we have sure had some animals creeping around, and the reaction is probably similar.

killeroy154

Survivalist
I have been fortunate that no one has stolen anything from my camp sites. I do check them out before hand. If I think I will be uncomfortable with the surroundings I will go somewhere else. @Bibsoutdoors, maybe the bear thought you were a burito all rolled up in that hammock.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
I have been fortunate that no one has stolen anything from my camp sites. I do check them out before hand. If I think I will be uncomfortable with the surroundings I will go somewhere else. @Bibsoutdoors, maybe the bear thought you were a burito all rolled up in that hammock.
I think you maybe onto something there! The dreaded Bear Burrito! I would have been a goner if he hadn't forgotten his his tabasco sauce. [emoji199]

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I don't know where you guys camp but I've never had any problems you speak of; none whatsoever.
When I'm tripping I'm always been impressed by the fact that perfect strangers will come to your aid.
It's a bit of a code I suppose - those of us who are out in backcountry.
And wild animals?

I would suggest you go somewhere else.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
I don't know where you guys camp but I've never had any problems you speak of; none whatsoever.
When I'm tripping I'm always been impressed by the fact that perfect strangers will come to your aid.
It's a bit of a code I suppose - those of us who are out in backcountry.
And wild animals?

I would suggest you go somewhere else.
You forget where you're at. We are farm land and cities, no wide expanse of wooded areas. Our wild is contained in smaller and smaller areas, we are bound to encounter wild animals, especially if it is our desire to wild camp. To go somewhere else would be a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Thanks for the reality check. It wasn't my intention to be smug. It's just really hard for me to understand the situation. To be sure we are not divorced from security issues but when I read the comments I'm not able to wrap my head around the same.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
In our area it has become a problem in campgrounds and sites along rivers, where people wait till you leave then rob tents taking belongs or food, or any thing of value. So many people empty the tent and put everything of value in their car in hopes that when they return their tent will still be there. So many people addicted to drugs that they will do anything to support their habit. It is sad and makes it hard for those of us out to have a great camping experience.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Yes my wife said Canadians are very polite. I sat and studied on that for some time and come to this conclusion. There is so much vast country side in Canada, and most is scarcely populated. It is some beautiful country that has severe winters and hoards of mosquitos that await to drain you of blood during the warmer months. Y'all glad to get any company you can. Maybe we getting to over populated in the US. Hmm Canada...... don't know. I hate mosquitos.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Yes my wife said Canadians are very polite. I sat and studied on that for some time and come to this conclusion. There is so much vast country side in Canada, and most is scarcely populated. It is some beautiful country that has severe winters and hoards of mosquitos that await to drain you of blood during the warmer months. Y'all glad to get any company you can. Maybe we getting to over populated in the US. Hmm Canada...... don't know. I hate mosquitos.
----->
Thank you. You must be referring to 911 Gander Newfoundland when 9,000 citizens took care of the 7,000 passengers, mostly Americans, who were forced to land during the attack?