• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Americans Want Stricter Gun Laws, Still Oppose Bans

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Although the desire for stricter gun regulation surged after the recent shooting in Connecticut most Americans still oppose outright bans.

58% of Americans in favor of strengthening the laws covering the sale of firearms, up from 43% in 2011. Current support for stricter gun laws is the highest Gallup has measured since January 2004, but still not nearly as high as it was in the 1990s.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159569/americans-stricter-gun-laws-oppose-bans.aspx

TABL

Explorer
I want a restriction on assault weapons. Guns that shoot 100 rounds/minute are unnecessary to me.
Handnguns should be legal. I think everyone has the right to defend themselves.

I do not like guns. I don't want my kids around them. However, I don't think they should be banned.

ps3fanboy

the problem with carrying a gun for self defence is that if a mugger or a burglar was to see you with that gun, he could panic and start defending himself and in that moment it will be who can get there first.

ACSAPA

ps3fanboy said:
the problem with carrying a gun for self defence is that if a mugger or a burglar was to see you with that gun, he could panic and start defending himself and in that moment it will be who can get there first.
It's a tough call because on the other hand, if you don't have a gun, you're in a vulnerable position and the criminal has the control.

I'd rather be in a shootout and risk being shot by a panicked criminal than be helpless and get raped. I would rather be dead than be violated, so being armed would be worth it to me.

Jessi

Novice Camper
I think because people realize that even with a ban, guns would still exist....it would be the criminals and whatnot that would be getting them underground and legit people who just want to have them in case of self-defense, wouldn't be able to get them. So they want more restrictions, but they still want access to the basics.

Libragirl67

I just do not understand this anymore. How many Columbines or movie theater shootings must happen before people get it. Something needs to give here. We are a nation of people who cry I have my right to bear arms. Then the next time a horrible tradgedy happens these same people are asking how this could of happened. I understand there are hunters and people who wish to protect themselves. But you cannot have your cake and eat it too. Is your hunting license going to be worth anything when a psycho shoots up your childs school. We need to have some changes made here. And it might be uncomfortable for some but it will save innocent peoples lives.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
The problem is not the guns, guns don't shoot people, people shoot people. Most Americans want the gun laws on the books now to just be enforced. New laws only take more rights and freedoms from the people who are already law-biding citizens. By adding new restrictions to owning guns does not stop crazy people bend on hurting other people.
Say the next time people get hurt by baseball bat swingers, should we ban all baseball bats so no one gets beat with one again. Not hardly.

This post began with the quote "Americans Want Stricter Gun Laws, Still Oppose Bans," this gets me mad more than anything else. Which American's decided this? It was through a poll. Who was polled? Usually polls target a certain number of people, 100-300 and certain like minded people which pick from a list of choices usually leaning in a certain direction to get the desired results. So to say American's, like the outcome mean't all American's is a false statement. Most Americans want safer streets and laws already on the books to be enforced. I don't want my personal freedoms to be picked over and changed by people who have no understanding about the fact that any weapon could be used and any freedom removed does not make the public any safer from bad people.

Taking away guns or banning guns, only serves the interests of the bad folks intending to harm others. Because they will always have some sort of weapon and the people will have nothing to defend themselves with. And should things ever get worse in government or from say another great depression, folks would be at the mercy of anyone wishing to have what they own or their very lives, and have no means to protect themselves from any danger.

I live in an area where hunting is a loved sport and a necessity. I think we have to look beyond and try to become better people and try to bring the country and the world back to a gentler time when people cared about their neighbors and helped out each other and looked out for each other. A time when looking the other way did not happen, and people stopped and helped, instead of turning a blind eye to what is happening. And reported trouble before people suffered at the hands of others. A God-fearing nation and world. That is what can turn the corner from evil doers. More government controls are not the answer, in a free country.