• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

An Impromptu Campout

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
The wife and I stopped by the Perrot State Park on our way home from the lake. We found this little camp site.
20170621_153018.jpg

We set up our Outdoor Research Bug Bivies for the night.
20170621_170601.jpg

Sadly, in the cooler was a bag of hot dogs that didn't get finished at the lake.
20170621_170701.jpg

Mosquito are as big as my Outback, and there are thousands of them...lol. It's very warm and nestled in these trees affords us little breeze. We are hoping for a look at eagles tomorrow, we'll see what good fortune provides. By the way that is the Kelty Noah 12 X 12 we are using as a tarp. Margo is using a Ther Ma Rest Dreamtime pad. I'm using the Exped 9 down filled pad (I had it along for the hammock, which there are no suitable trees at this site to utilize.
It's 1817hrs. and the sun is beginning to lower, temps dropped to 71° already. At that rate we are in for a very nice night. We are both using the Hammock Gear Barrow 40 top quilts, more than enough comfort for the temps tonight. See you all tomorrow.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Oh what a night, warm to say the least. Bivies made out of No-See-Um, nothing but holes, can sure hold heat and refuse any air to pass.
Outdoor Research Bug Bivy.jpg

Didn't help that we fill up the bivy size wise. I don't think people our size will find these very practical. The Advanced Bivy by OR, is a nice fit, but way to warm for summer use and then there is the difficulty of condensation. Not a problem now but as things get colder out...
Advance Bivy Sack 04.jpg

The saving grace of this experience was this little gem.
$_35.JPG.cf.jpg

th (2).jpeg

It is always so refreshing to get cleaned up after a hot day (or in this case, a hot set up.)
Had I been able to come up with a solution for the Bivy dilemma, I believe we would have had a pleasant night.
We'll after breakfast we will tear down camp, shower again and off to look for those eagles.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Thanks for the bivy report. I have seen those somewhere before and was curious. I roll around and sort of spread out a lot when I sleep. I have a mummy bag and I hate being constricted. That shower thing looks way better than that piece of junk shower bag I bought.

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
It's fun to have an impromptu camp out but I still go for preparation. We had tried that once, going to a mountain resort that is 3 hours away. We made the plan during bedtime and early the next morning, we packed what we thought we needed and hied our dogs and housemaid. Our food was barbecue with bread plus soda. We also brought along dog food. Fine. But before lunch time, we realized we did not bring charcoal for reheating the barbecue. It's not nice to eat cold barbecue, right? We also forgot minor things like drinking glasses. Oh well, that's a neat lesson for us.