• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Any Vegan Campers?

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I was wondering if there are any vegan campers or hikers on site that would like to have or share a few recipes that they love using on the trail. I am a cross between vegan and regular foodie as I have not given up meat completely, but I do enjoy lots of vegan natural creations.

Seems it might be easier on the trail to discourage wildlife and yet enjoy good veggie dishes with rice or even some combination salads or desserts. I had a hard time finding the perfect video to start this thread as so many play loud music that makes it quite hard to hear ingredients or even enjoy the video. I like videos where people explain what they do and how to do it and the end products.

While some vegans go all out for eating only a few foods or get really creative with foods that only a select few like I wanted to start sharing some recipes that are tasty, yet simple to prepare and easy to bring along on a regular camping trip or long distance hike.

So here we go:

Please add your own recipes or lists of store-bought items that you use when camping.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Quick meal ideas for on the trail.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I think every time we watch a video about hiking or backpacking, someone mentions they had food mailed to them for restocking their supplies. Well it happens to vegan hikers as well and here is one big box of food that is to keep them going strong on the trail. Vegan to some is a scary or odd way of eating, but to most it is not super drastic just no meat or and no dairy. Some vegans cut their diets to far more limited kinds of food as they feel by not eating these products they are saving animals lives.

In some ways this is not true as animals not needed would never be produced in the first place. Raising and proper care of all animals is very expensive and if there is no use of certain animals there would be no breeding to reproduce more. So if the world became vegan more animals would not be born and their species would become extinct. That's just my way of thinking on this topic.

I eat mostly vegetables and grains, fruits and beans, but I love some meats in moderation. Some of the recipes online are very good and worth trying, so with that thought in mind I plan to share the ones most helpful for camping or long distance backpacking.

Please share your thoughts or experiences about vegan recipes or cooking meals or just add your opinions.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member

SWEET APPLE - DATE - WALNUT OATMEAL

Ingredients

• 1 medium apple (diced)
  • 4 dates (chopped)
  • 1/4 cup walnuts (chopped)
  • 2 tsp coconut sugar
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 2/3 cups water
Method

1. Place diced apple and coconut sugar in a pan on a low heat, stir occasionally
  2. In a saucepan combine oats and water on low heat and stir regularly until water almost absorbed
  3. Once the water is absorbed in the saucepan add chopped dates and continue to stir until water is fully absorbed into the oats
  4. Add the apple into the saucepan and stir to combine
  5. Remove from saucepan and add walnuts to serve

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member

NO BAKE DATE BARS

Ingredients

• 3 cups chopped dates (pitted)
  • 1/4 cup cashews
  • 2 tbsp coconut nectar or agave syrup
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp cocoa
Method

1. Place dates and chia seeds into a food processor and process on a slow speed until they have broken down 2. Add in cashews 3. After the cashews have broken apart add in the cocoa and then the coconut nectar 4. Once the coconut nectar has been added the mixture may form into a big ball. If it does, stop the machine, break it up, and then process again for a little bit longer. 5. Line a shallow container with baking paper and scoop the mixture in 6. Chill in the fridge for a few hours and then cut into slices and wrap in wax paper or clear wrap.

Great snack for for camping or hiking, or just a treat to eat at home.

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
Barbecue is my favorite food in camping trips. However, I also love the vegetable mix that is broiled in banana leaf. Just a dash of salt for seasoning, the mix of eggplant, watercress, spinach, tomatoes and other available vegetables can serve as a complete meal. It is best when sweet potato is included.

rz3300

Explorer
I am not a vegan but if I were out camping for a long period of time I think it would be easier for me to go that way. I happen to love just plain old rice and beans and when that is the best option available, as it often is on my camping trips, seems like that would be a good place to try it out.