• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Aokigahara (Suicide Forest) - Japan

anyamarina

Ogncija.jpg

Perhaps the most infamous forest in Japan, Aokigahara, located at the northwest base of Mt. Fuji, is not only known for its beautiful scenery, but for being the second most popular place to commit suicide in the world, after the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco. Up to 100 bodies are removed every year.

3NRFo8l.jpg

The forest of Aokigahara is so dense (the meaning of its name is the 'sea of trees') that it's possible to find places that are completely shrouded in darkness. It's really pretty during the daytime, however, and good for hiking. However, it's probably really dangerous to be out there at night, not because of the spooky story behind the forest, but because it is filled with tangled trees and uneven elevation. Not to mention that due to the rich magnetic iron in the soil of the area, you are unable to use compasses, GPS systems, and cellphones.

Would YOU dare camp in this forest at night? Personally, I wouldn't!

Jpix

I would! It seems like it's right up me and my husband's alley! So to speak.
We love to go to places with a back story, even better if it's spooky or creepy. I grew up on horror movies because my mom is very into them, so I like the thrill of the unknown a bit. My husband isn't as much of a horror/morbid reality-type nut as I am, but he's just not afraid of anything and loves to hear the stories.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Those are some eerie images, for some reason it reminds me of some of the scenic shots in Lord of the Rings.

article-5.jpg

Lord-of-The-Rings-Tree_l1.jpg

Esperahol

Jpix... you wouldn't want to go there. There are many bodies recovered there every year, but there are many more that are never found. Nothing ruins a trip like advance decomposition. Skeletons lying next to "The Beautiful Suicide's Guide" aren't much fun either.

TABL

Explorer
Oh wow! I've never heard of this place before. It looks beautiful, but no, i wouldn't want to go. Id be too freaked out!

weekender

For a different experience, yes, I would go camping there given the opportunity. I have read about camping sites near the trails. It is not advisable to go deep into the woods because of the dense forest and vegetation. There are some watchers are looking checking out the campers for safety because those who camp there alone are the main suspects for suicide.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Do you think the experience would be a lot different @weekender? I imagine that the forest itself would be similar to other forests in Japan as long as you aren't a superstitious person who get spooked by ghost stories. Although you may be right about the dense bush which can make it hard to pitch a tent unless you are able to find a somewhat open area. Although from many of the pictures I have seen that does not look to be too much of a problem.

Jpix... you wouldn't want to go there. There are many bodies recovered there every year, but there are many more that are never found. Nothing ruins a trip like advance decomposition. Skeletons lying next to "The Beautiful Suicide's Guide" aren't much fun either.
The forest is big enough that I think there is a fairly good chance that you would not encounter any bodies at all. While 100 bodies is a lot to have in a year, if you consider the number of days in a year, the size of the forest, and the length of time a body would be sitting there before it is found; I do not think that it would be enough so that you would see them scattered about the trails.

Esperahol

The forest is big enough that I think there is a fairly good chance that you would not encounter any bodies at all. While 100 bodies is a lot to have in a year, if you consider the number of days in a year, the size of the forest, and the length of time a body would be sitting there before it is found; I do not think that it would be enough so that you would see them scattered about the trails.
You might not encounter a body, but advance decomposition isn't generally confined to an area. If it's going on then you're going to smell it for certain. On top of that while most people are looking to be alone - others would prefer to leave a nice looking corpse for pick up. Those people are the ones you're likely going to trip over.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
You might not encounter a body, but advance decomposition isn't generally confined to an area. If it's going on then you're going to smell it for certain. On top of that while most people are looking to be alone - others would prefer to leave a nice looking corpse for pick up. Those people are the ones you're likely going to trip over.
I had never though of that but it makes sense that people would have different preferences as to how they are found, if they are found at all. It certainly seems like it'd be one of the first things you'd think about once you had made the decision to do it. What exactly is a "nice looking corpse" though? That phrase seems kind of like an oxymoron to me, haha but I guess for those that are concerned about it there are certain steps they can take.

scrapper

Novice Camper
Now that the Halloween is coming soon; it would be suitable to speak about some creepy but not necessarily dangerous trails you can think about. You know, those campsites regarded as "haunted" by local and popular folklore.

Alright then! feel free to share anything related to "haunted" trails. Those creepy campsite stories told aside a bonfire beneath a moonlight are not gonna end up writing themselves!.

Let's begin with one of the famously creepiest ou' there.

Aokighara Forest, Japan, A.K.A suicide forest

scary-horror-campsites-10.jpg

Supposedly the suicide capital of the World, this forest is extremely creepy and people who venture in to venture the trail or camp there would possibly are not goin' to repeat the experience. Can you imagine how many restless souls are just wandering around these woods, hundreds if not thousands of people have ended their lives there. The authorities just leave them to rot, but they do place a plastic tape around the scene, just so no one goes for a closer look. Like that would stop anybody!