• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Arizona Camping

Here's some photos from camping at unit 9 last March. That's probably 20+ miles from the south rim of the Grand canyon. It's all primitive camping out off the the forest roads. If there's a hundred miles of these forest roads there's a thousand miles. Pretty much just drive and get lost and pitch a tent. Please leave your site cleaner than what you found it and obey the fire restrictions. It can get really dry.
cd466da39c4240b006f40942f016d90f.jpg
3304976078cdad02e841d353a4b88152.jpg
b5c54b0ad4bfb621226025ca3141c531.jpg
578ac1ab7ac561c0ca424265dd38902b.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Attachments

Madman4800

Survivalist
How do I get ahold of maps for these trails. I have been wanting to do some overlanding and looking for easy trails for a beginner.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

Bibsoutdoors, we usually take 15+ gallon with us for consumption and putting out our fires. Out here you do not want to leave camp with a fire still smoldering. Law of the serious camper here. At least those who care about these forests.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Bibsoutdoors, we usually take 15+ gallon with us for consumption and putting out our fires. Out here you do not want to leave camp with a fire still smoldering. Law of the serious camper here. At least those who care about these forests.

One of my favorite books is called, "Fire Season" by Phillip Connors. He is a Forest Service look out in the South West. He speaks of times hunters going into the forests and having camp fires. They don't put them out properly and the roots of trees smolder and the next thing you now there's smoke and a fire in the woods. I understand both from reading and learning your seriousness about extinguishing your fires. I appreciate that seriousness!
1ff6ea094122a68f0e6fb2998badb3b1.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Thank you.
Arizona gives us the privilege of using their forest roads to explore and camp. I'd hate to see that privilege taken away by carelessness.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
@silverwolf,
So are you allowed to drive in and park then walk in further? That made no sense. Do you drive in on the forest roads, park off road were you want and then continue to walk in as far as you wished?

Bibsoutdoors

That's pretty much it. But you do want to learn to read a compass. Either that or have a good solar charger for your cell/GPS.

There are sites here that would be concreted up back in Ohio.
Lava tubes, lava blow holes and abandoned mines. These you can either hike it or drive to them. Except the mines, hike to them.

Madman4800

Survivalist
silverwolf636, thanks for the pics of the maps. I found a few on Amazon that I may pick up. Would you suggest having skid plates for the easiest trails. My truck is going to be my backpack. Way more pockets than the old Jansport.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

I don't have a skid plate but I feel as though I'm asking for trouble. I'm glad you brought that up. Now is a good time for me to design one and add it to my bull rack that I built.

I had a computer crash and may have lost pics of our camp. I'm going to try and fire it up today and get some more pics and vids.

Sent from my RCT6303W87M7 using Tapatalk