• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Being afraid of camping

AurelioLeo

Has anyone been afraid of camping as a kid or even as an adult? Has anyone been with someone that was afraid of camping? Some people like my sister was terrified of tent camping and the pitch black that would come upon us at night. I'm interested to know your story on that issue.

Libragirl67

Yes my mom was and still is terrified of camping. She hates being out in nature, and does not like the woods. Nor is she any kind of an animal lover. She was born and raised a city girl. She is one of those people who likes to be comfortable. She does not consider camping any fun at all. So obviously I never experienced camping as a kid. When I got older my husband and I would go camping though. I loved it. I loved being in nature, and I am a huge animal lover so it was all very fascinating for me. I still take my kids camping every summer. They, like me are huge camping fans.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Most of my family loved being in the outdoors and the only thing we were afraid of as kids, was the bears that would come into the campgrounds looking for food. Many times other campers would be careless and leave food out which attracted the bears or be careless about their garbage which brought hungry bears into their campsite or had them ripping into tents looking for more food.

Now days although, the bears still raid the camp ground dumpsters, the biggest threat can be the two legged kind, and I am not referring to "Big Foot" either. Seems to be more problems then in the early years of my camping experience. Maybe being a woman this would worry me more than big tough guys, but it is something everyone need to be aware of when out camping alone.

What do you think in terms of bears and other troublemakers?