• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Best Way to Purify Water?

campforums

Founder
Staff member
That is true @Northern Dancer but I think that the fact that people are becoming more aware of it is a good thing.

People who otherwise wouldn't think twice about the environment might take a second look when they find themselves installing a filtration system in their home. It is a weird thing because you don't know what is in the water and it is not the sort of thing you would notice so it is easy to ignore but who knows what health affects it could have down the line.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...that's very true of course. We all know that water is becoming a precious commodity and needs to be treated with the greatest respect.

One reason that I went to a filtration system was and encounter with "beaver fever". I didn't experience it myself but had to deal with it on one occasion. Not a pretty sight. :(

campforums

Founder
Staff member
...that's very true of course. We all know that water is becoming a precious commodity and needs to be treated with the greatest respect.

One reason that I went to a filtration system was and encounter with "beaver fever". I didn't experience it myself but had to deal with it on one occasion. Not a pretty sight. :(
Are you talking about a filtration system for your camping trips or for home? I know for some rural areas a filtration system isn't just a luxury but a requirement. I've seen your super deluxe tent before but I didn't think it even had running water!! :eek:

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
@campforums - I was referring to a canoe trip a few years back when six in another group who joined us became ill. It could well have been food preparation but after questioning them I determined it was drinking the water. We did what we could and though things seemed to be okay I strongly recommended they be checked out medically when they got home.

If I could figure out a simple and effective way to having running water in my deluxe tent I would have done that. :) I'm content to use the Katadyn Base Camp water filter and the Katadyn Hiker Pro on canoe trips and just the simple Reliance Aqua Container filled with approved park water.

rz3300

Explorer
Well of that fancy stuff sure seems nice, but I have yet to go wrong with the simple iodine tablets. It is a little unnerving seeing the things floating in there, but as long as it is good to drink I am okay. I will boil if I get the chance but that is rare.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
ACTUALLY? Every health agency in the country will opt for boiling. But then again...in our super advanced society [[:drowning:]] we have all kinds of devices big and small that come to our aid.

REMEMBER, read the label and know exactly what your product will do and will not do to protect you.

X There is an extensive thread on this subject on Camping Babble.

rz3300

Explorer
When it comes to me being certain that things are good and not to have that feeling inside, I like to boil everything, but of course this is not really always an option. The iodine tablets have come in handy for me a lot though, although you still get a lot of floaties.

killeroy154

Survivalist
I put iodine tablets in my shower bag that is filled with lake water. I use that for washing dishes and conserve my drinking water. I haven't been in any situations where I couldn't bring my own water. Normally when I go camping I take a boat of some sorts, and I carry in my water.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Iodine Treatment

Iodine is light sensitive and must always be stored in a dark bottle. It works best if the water is over 68� F (21� C). Iodine has been shown to be more effect than chlorine-based treatments in inactivating Giardia cysts. Be aware that some people are allergic to iodine and cannot use it as a form of water purification. Persons with thyroid problems or on lithum, women over fifty, and pregnant women should consult their physician prior to using iodine for purification. Also, some people who are allergic to shellfish are also allergic to iodine. If someone cannot use iodine, use either a chlorine-based product or a non-iodine-based filter, such as the PUR Hiker Microfilter, MSR WaterWorks, or the Katadyn Water Filter.

Generally, the procedure is as follows:

• Liquid 2% Tincture of Iodine Add 5 drops per quart when the water is clear. Add 10 drops per quart when the water is cloudy.
  • Polar Pure Iodine Crystals Fill the Polar Pure bottle with water and shake. The solution will be ready for use in one hour. Add the number of capfuls (per quart of water treated) listed on the bottle, based on the temperature of the iodine solution. The particle trap prevents crystals from getting into the water being treated. It is important to note that you are using the iodine solution to treat the water, not the iodine crystals. The concentration of iodine in a crystal is poisonous and can burn tissue or eyes. Let the treated water stand for 30 minutes before drinking. In order to destroy Giardia cysts, the drinking water must be at least 68� F (20� C). The water can be warmed in the sun before treating or hot water can be added. Refill the treatment bottle after use so that the solution will be ready one hour later. Crystals in the bottle make enough solution to treat about 2,000 quarts. Discard the bottle when empty.
  • Potable Aqua This is an iodine tablet product. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use.
This material is taken from Chapter 4 - Hygiene & Water Purification from The Backpackers Field Manual by Rick Curtis. For more details on this exciting book check out The Backpacker's Field Manual Page.

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
I put iodine tablets in my shower bag that is filled with lake water. I use that for washing dishes and conserve my drinking water. I haven't been in any situations where I couldn't bring my own water. Normally when I go camping I take a boat of some sorts, and I carry in my water.
Same with me, I also bring along enough water for drinking. That is the most important for me because of the prevalence of diseases here, it is not good to trust the water in the forest. I remember when I was a boy scout, we would be drinking water anywhere, be it from a mountain spring or a brook in the valley. Those were the days when purity of nature is at its best.

killeroy154

Survivalist
...what happens when you are out for 21 days; how do you handle it then?
That would call for a little research into a good water filteration system. And I know I could turn to you and others on this site for that kind of advice. I hope to do a long trip like that one of these days.

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
I have never been on a long enough camping trip to need to purify drinking water. Most of the time, we just put gallon jugs of water into the car for drinking and making coffee with, and didn’t need anyting else.
When I was growing up, and my friends and I used to be out all day long, riding our horses up into the mountains, we just stopped and drank from the creeks that we rode by, and watered the horses that way, too.
Since the streams came down from the high mountains, and there was not nearly so much pollution back then, we never worried about the water being dangerous.
Even the lake where we sometimes swam with the horses, had fairly drinkable water. it was not as pure as the mountain creeks, but it tasted okay and we used to drink it.