• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Bryce Canyon

marcedd1

I plan on camping in Bryce Canyon starting on Saturday, July 1, 2017. Will I have difficult time finding a spot in Bryce?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...I'd sure like to help you on this one - but your are far far away from my neck of the woods. I checked the site - a fabulous looking place with awe inspiring panoramic wonders.

Check the site again and see when you can book. And if you can do it early. The reality is that you are coming into the July 4th National Holiday and that time period usually means more people. If you haven't been there before, when you get there, make a list of the preferred camp sites for future use. I have an index box that contains camp sites with detail information and pictures. Make sure you read the information carefully especially the size of the lots if there are irregular sites to assure your equipment can be accomodated. More experienced Babblers will have to pick up the slack. :)

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Marcedd1, this is just a thought. Go on line to Backpacker Magazine, they have maps and trip reports on Bryce Canyon. You may even get camp ground information. I know they had tear out color maps of Bryce in their magazine.

Bibsoutdoors

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
@Bibsoutdoors ===> Wow! Your American National Parks are terrific and the fees are fantastic compared to ours. Dunno - maybe our trees are of some special brand or species that require the Feds and the Provincials, for that manner, to charge a higher premium. :)

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Northern Dancer, I'm surprised to hear say your fees are higher. Does the Canadian government collect taxes from you to pay for the parks or are the parks funded solely from your fees? Maybe your government does the same as ours, they take from our taxes along with the fees we pay to use them to fund the parks.

If your trees are something extra special, you really need to keep that under your hat. If our government finds out that that is the case we will declare war on you and try to steal them away!
b88d2f0dfe33f35deb4fc9cbf2a09eaf.gif
it's like oil and it's the thing we do I guess!

Bibsoutdoors

Attachments

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...Ontario - that Great Province that I live in? Has the highest taxes in North America and yes taxes are charged on everything accept whole unprepared food. Try 15%. But then again - we have some of the finest care packages to be found anywhere in the world. We also have a high standard of living too.

So...here is my hospital story.
In 2006 I was rushed to hospital and had to have emergency surgery to save my life. I had to have therapy for nine months and I had to have a special medical device. The Ministry of Health sent me a cheque each month to pay for the supplies AND though I spent fourteen days in hospital the first time around [only five days for the second] and had home care for four weeks do you know what my bill came to? I don't know either - I never did get one.

Like everything else - you win some you lose some. But without being arrogant - there is not other place I'd rather be.

So what does it cost me to be in Algonquin Provincial Park with a discount rate? A non electrical site 32 ft X 32 ft will cost me $45.00 a night. The interior sites are a lot less of course.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
That's stunning! I've only been hospitalized one in my life, last year. I had an emergency appendectomy, no big deal, almost every kid has one. I almost died when the bill came, nearly $15,000. Insanity right well I had insurance so the final cost to me was only $600.00. So I feel lucky but even at that our health care system simply sucks compared to your own or others around the world. Not to get political but how does a "super power" not take better care of its own citizens? Grrrrr!

I'm really surprised at your costs to use your parks. This is how ungrateful I am, I get upset when I have to pay $19.00 a night to sleep on the ground. Now there's more to it than that, bathrooms, water, garbage disposal and up keep to the park itself. I guess the National Forests have spoiled me, no fees to use or camp in. Like I said I'm ungrateful and shouldn't be. It's just I remember as a kid camping was for poor people who couldn't afford to do other things, since camping became more hip, fees increased dramatically. For a country of over weight people and electronically handicapped kids, you would think more would be done to encourage outside activity. Nuts, is this still heavily political? Not my intention. Today I can afford to live in the parks, but those costs still keep me away. I guess it's a psychological hang up. Therapy needed here OR
0b0825dd046b123e700c017be19ba90f.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Attachments

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...luv the cup and the saying is true.
Yes parks can cost a lot but then there are other opportunities and less expensive choices. For example you can camp on Crown Land for nothing. Though as one might expect there are none of the amenities but then again some of us don't really care. In our area I really enjoy canoeing/camping in the Haliburton Water Way Tails system - that only costs me $8.00 a night. Then again the canoe that I use to get there cost me two thousand bucks. Dunno - it comes down to what you wanna do and how many bucks are in your wallet. :) There are golfers, drinkers, race care drivers, scuba people - it's all about what interests you have in life. For me - it's the outdoors.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGrNLqnN-4yxkv_dZjACUBO6BAlY7S1UvmpsBjBQq6sGUZszwZ.jpg
AGREE!

Attachments

Madman4800

Survivalist
Wish they would do that to the towers here. It looks much nicer. But then again the government gets enough of my money. My wife was in the hospital for 11 days a few years ago and we had to take out a loan to pay for it.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

killeroy154

Survivalist
Sorry marcedd1, I live in east Tennessee and don't know nuffin about Utah. Please hang out with us on this site, and share your experiences of canyon camping. I have always camped near a lake of stream in the woods. I would expect the sun rise and sun sets are stunning to look at.

This blue collar, over worked factory worker has no comment on the other subject matters. Except, ,, if greed could be eliminated from our species the whole world would be better off.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
...luv the cup and the saying is true.
Yes parks can cost a lot but then there are other opportunities and less expensive choices. For example you can camp on Crown Land for nothing. Though as one might expect there are none of the amenities but then again some of us don't really care. In our area I really enjoy canoeing/camping in the Haliburton Water Way Tails system - that only costs me $8.00 a night. Then again the canoe that I use to get there cost me two thousand bucks. Dunno - it comes down to what you wanna do and how many bucks are in your wallet. :) There are golfers, drinkers, race care drivers, scuba people - it's all about what interests you have in life. For me - it's the outdoors.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGrNLqnN-4yxkv_dZjACUBO6BAlY7S1UvmpsBjBQq6sGUZszwZ.jpg
AGREE!
Last time I looked up hobby costs the research said the average cost of an adult hobby to get started was $3,000. $2,000 for a canoe and another thousand or more for starting gear sounds about right. We make money so we can spend money right? (As long as it's on anything but sleeping on the ground! Bahaaa!! :)) I enjoy amateur radio, by the time you purchase radios, coax, towers, cement work, grounding equipment, antennas, rotators etc., you can blow that starting number out of this world. But we work hard for our money and should be allowed to enjoy some of it as we like. [emoji6]

Bibsoutdoors

Attachments

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Wish they would do that to the towers here. It looks much nicer. But then again the government gets enough of my money. My wife was in the hospital for 11 days a few years ago and we had to take out a loan to pay for it.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk
Wouldn't that be awesome! I can't think of anyplace a tower would look out of place dressed as a tree! But alas, you are right, it would just cost us more. I honestly don't think it would take a great deal of talking to sell me on the idea though. Money, as killeroy said, we could have such a different world without it. Makes you almost wish for the days of Star Trek when money was obsolete.

Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Sorry marcedd1, I live in east Tennessee and don't know nuffin about Utah. Please hang out with us on this site, and share your experiences of canyon camping. I have always camped near a lake of stream in the woods. I would expect the sun rise and sun sets are stunning to look at.

This blue collar, over worked factory worker has no comment on the other subject matters. Except, ,, if greed could be eliminated from our species the whole world would be better off.
I'm with you on the greed killeroy!!!

Bibsoutdoors