• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Can openers!

killeroy154

Survivalist
I have one of these in my camping stuff and I've never used it. In fact, when I was camping a couple of weeks ago, I tried to open a can of hominy, and I couldn't figure out how to use it. I ended up using my fixed blade sheath knife to cut the top open. Has anyone successfully used one of these things?
68f910218dab001bda17ca0275e9779b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

campforums

Founder
Staff member
I've never used one of those but it looks like it is just like a regular can opener but without the handle? It could work and makes sense if you're backpacking and tight on space.

How easy was it to get the can open with the knife @killeroy154, any splattered sauce?

killeroy154

Survivalist
The fixed blade knife opened it with out a problem. I was more worried about slicing open the palm of my hand... eewww that would've sucked. I need to avoid taking stuff in metal cans camping, to easy to cut yourself trying to open them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Yea especially if the can is wet. You're almost as likely to cut yourself open on the sharp metal of the can as you are to cut yourself with the knife.

So many hazards just to open a can, haha

Madman4800

Survivalist
Back before I had the whole family thing I used a P38. It always worked well but I do have to admit opening cans for the whole family with a normal can opener is much quicker.
a894ca27e5c7b4409c895d456b5adace.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk