• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Canoeing

hissae2

I've never been canoeing before but it looks really fun. There were people canoeing when I went camping last time but I wasn't able to unfortunately. :( It looks really fun though. Canoe's are bigger than kayaks so I am wondering if it is more difficult? I am hoping to go canoeing at some point soon, maybe this summer when I go camping next. :)

What do you think of canoeing? Is it something you enjoy doing? And is it more difficult than kayaking?

Karto

I have thought about it. It seems like canoeing would serve as a workout itself haha.

Ah, I've just realized I was thinking about kayaking. It looks more fun to me as canoeing is more teamwork rather than solo work. Probably makes it easier that way :p

R. Zimm

The more experienced person should sit in the rear, that has always seemed to work better for us. I think the reason is that the more experienced person can look ahead and steer the canoe (and avoid problems) and also direct the person in the front which side to paddle on and when to stop.

Karto

R. Zimm said:
The more experienced person should sit in the rear, that has always seemed to work better for us. I think the reason is that the more experienced person can look ahead and steer the canoe (and avoid problems) and also direct the person in the front which side to paddle on and when to stop.
Cool to see someone who enjoys canoeing!

How much time does it take to learn to be proficient at it?

R. Zimm

The average person can pick it up right away if they get some tips. You can always look to Youtube for some paddling examples. The main thing is to make sure the paddle is flat against the water for as long as possible in your stroke then at the end you smoothly twist the paddle so it slips out of the water and does not drag.

Efficiency is the key. Other than that, a new paddler should not do it for too long without a break, you can strain a muscle (or two!).

campforums

Founder
Staff member
R. Zimm said:
Efficiency is the key. Other than that, a new paddler should not do it for too long without a break, you can strain a muscle (or two!).
Yeah and switch sides from time to time, you don't want to end up looking like this:

The_Simpsons.S17E05.Marges_Son_Poisoning.avi_000461544.jpg

R. Zimm

How true! But that is one advantage of using a kayak, the double ended paddle forces you to even out the work. It would be nice to be able to use the kayak paddle in a canoe but it doesn't work because the sides of the canoe are much taller.

Jessi

Novice Camper
Canoe's are bigger than kayaks so I am wondering if it is more difficult?
If you are with someone who knows what they're doing and you follow instructions well, then I think canoeing is easier. The main reasons are because they are more stable, have more room, you can stand up even, etc.

If you are a beginner in general, then a kayak might be your better bet because you can tell exactly what your paddling is doing and adjust accordingly.

AurelioLeo

If you are thinking of going canoeing make sure you are in shape for it. It is physically demanding and you wouldn't want to get all tired out in the middle of the lake. Also it helps to bring a partner with you to make it easier.