• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Checking the safety of the river

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
When going to the river or lake for fishing or swimming, I remember in one lifeguard training session the advice to check the water for safety especially in the river or lake. First is the harmful animals and insects like crocodile or mosquitoes. Crocodiles are dangerous particularly in the shallow part of the water while the mosquitoes may have the dengue virus or the olden malaria. A few years back, the son of a radio commentator died of malaria when he was doing a documentary film in the creek inside a forested area.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...just visualizing a croc in our waters sends a chill up my spin. I really can't imagine such an occurrence. But in your neck of the woods that is a distinct possibility.

In this neck of the woods we check with the Ministry of Natural Resources that provides pertinent information about our rivers. I do not take a trip without consulting the Ministry about current conditions appreciating the fact that they can change in a moment. The information provides river speed, depth of the water, obstructions and other data that is helpful. For those who fish it will provide that information as well. Maps can be purchased at any of our larger outdoor stores. By right all rivers in this country can be navigated by any free citizen.

rz3300

Explorer
Luckily I have not really experienced anything terrible personally, but I have heard enough horror stories from other people enough to know how important this one is. Should be high on the list of first things to do when picking a site I would hope for everyone involved.