• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Conversational guide to backcountry camping kickstarter

Speaking of new to camping . . .

Professional outfitter Brad Groves has written a book titled, “A Conversational Guide to Backcountry Equipment: How to choose & use your gear & apparel.”

Groves says, it “is a nonfiction book, written to help people significantly learn about and use the gear we tote and the clothing we wear. My years in the industry have made it clear that people want and need a resource that actually teaches them how things work, focusing both on tiny details and how those details play into the broader scheme. Instead of just talking about a few styles of tent, for example, we’ll go through every step of pitching a tent, from figuring out where the poles go and how to attach them, to how to get the rainfly on, use the guylines, and how tent stakes work and how to properly use them. We’ll talk about why different types of shelter exist, where they excel and where they won’t, and also get into figuring out your own needs and budget priorities. Detailed, full-color photos support the text. And when a task has several steps, there’s a photo for each step and a caption that helps you bring that step to life.”

The 400+ page book is not available yet because Groves lacks the funds for printing, publishing, production and distribution. To solve that problem he has instituted a Kickstarter campaign with a $12,000 goal that must be reached by January 28, 2018. For just a US$10 pledge, you will get a digital copy of the book. Pledges of US$25 get an autographed paperback of the book. A $50 pledge gets a hardcopy of the book.

Check out the Kickstarter page to make your pledge. If the campaign fails to reach US$12,000 in pledges, you will not be billed.

This sounds like a great book if you want to get outdoors, but don’t have experience with the equipment you will need.
1d22ae41-6be1-40c9-876d-f9b324d54bdf.jpg

killeroy154

Survivalist
Speaking of new to camping . . .

Professional outfitter Brad Groves has written a book titled, “A Conversational Guide to Backcountry Equipment: How to choose & use your gear & apparel.”

Groves says, it “is a nonfiction book, written to help people significantly learn about and use the gear we tote and the clothing we wear. My years in the industry have made it clear that people want and need a resource that actually teaches them how things work, focusing both on tiny details and how those details play into the broader scheme. Instead of just talking about a few styles of tent, for example, we’ll go through every step of pitching a tent, from figuring out where the poles go and how to attach them, to how to get the rainfly on, use the guylines, and how tent stakes work and how to properly use them. We’ll talk about why different types of shelter exist, where they excel and where they won’t, and also get into figuring out your own needs and budget priorities. Detailed, full-color photos support the text. And when a task has several steps, there’s a photo for each step and a caption that helps you bring that step to life.”

The 400+ page book is not available yet because Groves lacks the funds for printing, publishing, production and distribution. To solve that problem he has instituted a Kickstarter campaign with a $12,000 goal that must be reached by January 28, 2018. For just a US$10 pledge, you will get a digital copy of the book. Pledges of US$25 get an autographed paperback of the book. A $50 pledge gets a hardcopy of the book.

Check out the Kickstarter page to make your pledge. If the campaign fails to reach US$12,000 in pledges, you will not be billed.

This sounds like a great book if you want to get outdoors, but don’t have experience with the equipment you will need.
View attachment 4471
I'm interested. Most of my camping books are by one particular author.
How legit is this site? I don't like slinging my plastic card out into the web.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Kickstarter is legit - that's not to say they couldn't get hacked, but it's fairly unlikely. They won't charge your card unless Groves hits his funding target and he never sees your card info. I've contributed to this and other projects with no problem so far.

It's another story once Groves gets the money. Personally I doubt someone would go to the trouble of scamming people interested in this book. It's just not a big enough demographic to pursue. You can check him out at his:
Kickstarter Page: A Conversational Guide To Backcountry Equipment
Facebook Page: Backcountry Bonsai
YouTube Channel: Backcountry Bonsai
or send him an email: funstuff@backcountry-bonsai.com
He's located in Lansing, Michigan. Altogether that seems like too much info for a scammer to put out.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Thank you. I check it out. Might as well read about, be a few months before I get a chance to go.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Ya know, I read some field and stream magazines years ago, and they are very interesting and good entertainment. I was reading an article that talked about prime trout fishing spots on a stream that fed Fontana Lake in North Carolina, I was big into trout fishing then, so when my co-worker came in on next shift I asked him about it because he did some hiking in that area. He laughed when he perused the article. He said he knew where it was, and from the dam, where the article stated was 1/2 mile hike to the stream, he said it was at least 5 mile hike and pretty rugged. He made some other off handed remarks about the magazine that I won't repeat. I looked through the total outdoorsman one at the book store. I thought it was a little vague and I don't need the hunting, survival and certainly not the fishing (not that I ever catch any thing) sections. The Controversial Guide to book sounds interesting and informative, I'm in.

killeroy154

Survivalist
I don't know.... seemed a little "controversial" at first about weather it was a good book or not, I do hope the author gets it published.