• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

ELECTRICAL STORMS & Camping

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
@jc banks glad you found it helpful. When you camp in parks and the like there are better opportunities to protect yourself. When you are in the wilderness it is a different story - there are no buildings to escape to. More than that the environment is against you.

jc banks

Novice Camper
@jc banks glad you found it helpful. When you camp in parks and the like there are better opportunities to protect yourself. When you are in the wilderness it is a different story - there are no buildings to escape to. More than that the environment is against you.
Yes it was helpful, I never have camped in a park I just been lucky I guess but with the kids along we try to check what the weather will be like for a few days in advance. Surprises are nice but not ones that can strand you or be life threatening.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
:peeking:This is an Instructional Thread

FOLLOW UP SUGGESTIONS FOR WIND STORM CONDITIONS
As I watched my shed door fly off and my neighbours canvas gazebo roof torn to shreds in a moment and saw flying debris all around and I wondered what I might do if I was camping. What would you be doing?

Here are a few suggestions.

High winds may be the harbingers of worse weather to come. Before any camping trip, check the forecast for the area where you'll be travelling. Keep an eye on incoming rain, hail, or increasingly severe conditions, and plan (or cancel) accordingly.

Don't set up camp near any trees that might shed a branch or two in an unruly gust. Basically, you want to keep yourself and friends out of harm's way. Stay out of the path of potential wind borne debris, falling limbs (or whole trees), and other hazards. Aim for an open spot. Low bushes may offer a good mix of windbreak opportunity with low risk of injury.

Even if you're confident that you're out of range from flying branches and other concussion-causing objects, remember that high-velocity sand, dust, and dirt can do a number on your stuff and your body -- especially your eyes.

Get the upper hand on flying this-and-that by clearing it away from your campsite before it can work its way into your mouth, hair, and whatever. Rake and sweep leaves, loose litter, and anything hiding underneath from around your campsite to keep it from going airborne in your vicinity.

Make sure you have the best tent for high winds. A 12-person family-style tent with an awning and room to stand up on a fellow camper's shoulders is not the best shelter in a high-wind area. The less surface a gust can push against, the better. Limit your tent selection to low-to-the ground, sturdy models that can ride out a rough patch.

Wild weather will exploit any weakness you give it, so be sure to stake everything properly, secure it well, and don't cut any corners. Rushing a step or two while you make camp may help you get out of the wind sooner, but can lead to bigger headaches later as repeated friction finally works a flap loose or tugs a shallow stake free.

Avoid inserting your stakes straight into the ground, like a nail into a piece of wood. Instead, pound them in at a right angle so they can better resist forces trying to rip them free. Also, if wind camping is your thing, you may want to invest in grooved, wind-resistant stakes.

Guy lines can be a lifesaver or at least a tent-saver. Learn how to properly set up these lines that attach to the rain fly and add stability.

High winds? That means no fire outside or inside your tent. Always have some form of repair kit to get you through should the situation require the same. Did someone say duck-tape?

INFORMATION AND SUGGESTIONS FROM - Eureka!