• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Favorite Activities When Camping

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
When you take the family camping what are some of the activities that you enjoy doing?
Such as swimming and hiking, fishing or exploring nature, telling stories around the camp fire or roasting marshmellows, campground sports or horseback riding, boating or sunbathing, and more...
Maybe just all taking turns at camp chores like gathering firewood or washing dishes, doing the cooking.

Which of these things do you find your family enjoys the most when your off in the woods far from cellphones and tv's, and computers??

Please share here.

Personally I always enjoyed listening to the night sounds and exploring the woodlands, for plant and wild animal life. In bigger campgrounds it was the sounds of campfires crackling and cheerful voices of happy campers. What say you?

campforums

Founder
Staff member
One of my favorite things to do when camping is swim. Especially since afterwards you can go dry off in the sun or by a warm fire. It's great because swimming in a lake or river is different than a pool and you can definitely sense the "wide openness" around you. Unfortunately it is not always possible if you aren't near water or there is no safe place.

How can you say that doing camp chores could be a favorite thing to do? Haha :p

I think it is the experience overall, but if I had to pick, I think it would be the campfires. Sure bonfires are fun, but when you are out there in nature, it is so much better.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
For adults the camp chores are boring, but children like the importance and fun in gathering sticks for the fire or helping mom wash dishes the old fashioned way. My mom would put a special camp apron on me and stand me up on the picnic table. She would heat the water and have a pan for hot water and cold. She would wash and rinse and I would dry the cups and silverware, and plates we used. It was a special time for mom and I to spend time together each evening.

That is what is so great about family camping. The memories made last a lifetime, bringing a smile to ones face whenever, I think about the good old days of camping as a family group.