• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Flower petals & soup

Hobbit

Novice Camper
Anyone else try adding flower petals to their soups while out and about?

I mainly stick to dandelion as there are usually plenty about.

My soup is usually in a flask (just a cheap watery chicken soup) and I'll just pluck suitable petals/flowers and add them to the flash, leave them in there to stew as I carry on my trek :)

I did learn though that I was doing this with flower petals you shouldn't really be consuming but I was alright (I wouldn't advise just picking any petals though until you've researched a little).

If my bush craft practice improves, I'm sure I'll be adding some sort of game to my food (wishful thinking) but now all I can catch is flowers :)

Hobbit

Novice Camper
Warn you grandgson that his pet may become extinct as the flower he's eating may not be all that good for him...... ;)

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
I have added petals from flowers like violets , along with some of the violet leaves, into a salad. The tiny purple violets add some bright color into the salad, and the leaves are very packed full of nutrition.
We have violets growing all over in the front yard; so I don't even have to go out into the woods to find them.
Dandelion blossoms are supposed to make a fine jam; but I have never tried making it.
I have also used the dandelion leaves as cooked greens though. They tend to be bitter, and the earlier in spring that you pick them, the milder is the taste.
However, a few dandelion greens mixed in with a mild green, like spinach, or plantain leaves (which also grows in my yard) and then sauteed in with an egg or two, is a delicious and healthy breakfast.

killeroy154

Survivalist
I'd have to fight the rabbits in the yard for a good salad. My says they are surveillance bunnies keeping an eye on us. Ha.

Yes my wife said chewing plantain and rubbing on my arm, I fell in stinging nettle last night, would relieve the burning. I was scared I'd pick the wrong stuff. She is good at identifying plants, and what they could be used for.

So many wonderful places
So little time

gracer

Explorer
I am also aware that some flower petals are edible and they can indeed be included in salads but I've never tried them out yet because I'm also poor in determining what kinds of flowers are edible. It's good to research on how edible flowers look like though, especially for frequent hikers and campers. I think knowing what kinds of plants are edible in the wild can be a very good survival skill. :)

missyify

Survivalist
I drink dandelion tea... Not from the yard but I've learned a lot about medicinal plants and foraging because of my son's eczema. As a matter of fact I have a common plantain oil infusion in progress on my windowsill.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk