• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Forum Upgrade to XenForo

campforums

Founder
Staff member
As many of you have probably noticed there has been some dramatic changes to the which occurred yesterday. This was due to an upgrade to the software the forum uses which offers a number of new features. Overall the upgrade went smoothly however there are a few things that did not get transferred over completely. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause but I just felt that the old forum software we were using (myBB) was holding the site back and would not allow for some of the plans I had for the future.

Minor Issues

If you were previously using an avatar from the gallery on the old site you no longer have an avatar, this is because the new site no longer has an avatar gallery. You are welcome to upload a new image to use as your avatar/display picture or use the gravatar service.

The new system of reputation on the site now uses likes similar to a lot of other sites instead of reputation. However it is still culmulative, so your profile will display how many likes you have received.

Links
If you have any links bookmarked or that you have shared with friends they will likely have changed due to the new URL structure. Not to worry though, all the old content can still easily be found through the search feature. Also all links now include the title of the thread or forum as part of the URL to help with search engine optimization and making the links more human friendly/readable.

Theme
The theme is still a work in progress however the end goal is to mimic the original design as much as possible while increasing functionality and speed.
Improvements and Features

Post Editor
The site now has a new WYSIWYG (What-you-see-is-what-you-get) editor which makes it a lot easier to do things like format posts and embed videos, links, images or attachments. It also looks nicer! Also, a new smiley has been added with over a 100 different icons (check it out!)

Trophies
In addition to the reputation system being overhauled there is now a trophy system which rewards you for all kinds of site behaviour such as replying to and creating threads, posting content that is appreciated by other users and visiting the forum.
Future Plans

Home Page Portal
I plan to add to the home page a portal where articles will be posted regularly and which will allow forum members to comment and discuss. I think this will be a great way to facilitate discussion and provide a constant stream of fresh content, ideas and entertainments for Camp Forums members.
That's all I can think of for now but I will likely be updating this post shortly, stay tuned!

Last edited: