• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Handy Tips For Campers

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I like tips that provide comfort and convenience in terms of things that help provide a quick answer to many of the ordinary problems that happen in the course of an outing on the trail while backpacking or at the campsite when all you want is a roaring fire and a good meal. Hope you find this video useful and please comment below as to whether you have used these ideas or think they are worth trying. i found a few that would be handy at home.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Experience goes a long way to prompt ideas for enjoyable camping. The video has some really great suggestions and I use a good number of them. I was observing a colleague purchasing a substance to easily start his campfire. I just use cotton balls smeared with petroleum jelly inside cut off pieces of toilet paper rolls. My fire lighters cost me $2.00 and his close to $8.00. You have to be open to suggestions and be prepared to try them. People still refer to camping as being the best bang for the buck. The reality is that there is a who wack of campers who run to the outdoor store to purchase expensive items that are really not necessary.

Gizmos and Gadgets bring in a lot of bucks to the outdoor stores. :peeking:

I like the cotton ball starters - I shocked my wife when I showed her how they kick right off with a spark from a magnesium fire starter - probably work fine with a spark from a rock too. I keep them in little round screw-top plastic containers so the vasoline doesn't get everywhere.

If you use the pill box idea for your seasonings - better put a rubber band around it to keep those lids closed.

killeroy154

Survivalist
I loved it. Going to watch again and make notes, I have CRS "can't remember stuff".

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
This reminds me of my brother-in-law in one of our camping trips in the wilderness. It is a forest resort but there were no facilities except the bathroom/toilet. We had brought along rechargeable lamps. When it was time to cook, my brother-in-law brought out from his bag a small liquefied petroleum lighter that is actually a mini stove. We were really laughing until he started frying hot dogs. It was amazing because we thought that it was just a big lighter. Anyway, one of my necessities in this modern times is the rechargeable lamp that has the solar charger so it can be used for several nights.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Survival camping to me is really about "Old Time Camping" or "Primitive Camping" when the use of handy "tips" were at there best. With few utensils and little resources one learned "hints" to make tasks and jobs easier. It is in the human spirit to find ways to reduce work.

The Scout Organizations around the world have produced some of the finest "handy tips" for the ordinary camper and can be purchased just about anywhere.

upload_2018-5-18_8-55-29.jpeg

upload_2018-5-18_8-58-55.jpeg

I use to say to participants in training sessions, "Everything you want to learn about anything has already been written or is about to be written." Suggesting that it's all out there - you just have to go and find it.

Attachments

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
I agree with what you said about the scouting days of yore, @Northern Dancer. I learned to make utensils from bamboo. We cooked rice and soup dishes using the bamboo cylinder with the spoon also made of bamboo not to mention the drinking glass. What's good in our training was always a hands-on so the young boy scouts truly remember. Even in our camping trips lately, I still make utensils out of anything I can find, bamboo or just wood branches. But I don't remember reading a scouting book because we didn't have any. Over here, scouting in the olden days are dependent on the scout master.