• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How do you keep Raccoons from enjoying your camp?

CherylTorrie

Novice Camper
One of the things that may sound odd but I do every time I go camping is to raid the hamper for dirty socks. Yes, dirty socks are one of my camping essentials because raccoons and other food stealing animals don't like the smell of dirty socks. We humans don't have the sweetest smelling sweat and nothing is sweatier than a pair of socks that have been worn inside my favorite gym sneakers. I don't like to use chemicals or spread cayenne pepper that may hurt their tummies but I don't enjoy them digging through my stuff to find that one unsealed container either. Have you used sweaty socks to protect your area? What do you use?

killeroy154

Survivalist
Better late then never.
I would hate to use my toxic socks, it would probably wipe out the racoon population.
My dad and I camped near Tampa Florida late February. We had frozen shrimp in the cooler (which was our bait) before bed dad mentioned that the coons may get after it during the night, so I slid the cooler under the concrete picnic table seat. It was funny listening to them trying to get into the cooler after we got into the tent. We watched through the screen widow for awhile, and I can say they sure gave it a Team Effort.