• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How do you pack your spices?

killeroy154

Survivalist
Spice containers are bulky and hard to pack. I pack my spices in small baggies and identify them with masking tape. They can easily be packed. It sure made the food more interesting. I did have a couple of baggies that weren't labeled, I think it was sage and parsley, but it probably wouldn't appear to good if a park ranger seen it.
9ad3f2316693ec014e03768dc0b54d7d.jpg

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
My specialty in camping dishes is in using spices and condiments. My father had taught us that being in a camp is not a reason to eat bland food. It is nice to eat good food when in a camping trip. My kitchen needs, that includes cooking oil, vinegar and soy sauce are packed in small plastic vials or bin. They are placed in one plastic container to be protected from being pressed accidentally.

rz3300

Explorer
I really do not carry many spices when I am out, which now that I think about it might be a mistake. It would certainly go a long way in helping with food prep, but I just usually plan so far ahead and prespice anything if needed.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I do much the same as @killeroy does. I've used just about everything over the years. Whatever comes on the market as well as home made solutions. I used empty Tic Tac containers and such.

Today I mostly use the Nalgene containers that come in various sizes. I use the tubes too.

upload_2017-11-20_21-51-54.jpeg
These containers are waterproof.
upload_2017-11-20_21-56-32.jpeg

Go Tubes - expensive at the outdoor stores cheap at Dollar Store.
upload_2017-11-20_21-59-41.jpeg
Salt and Pepper container when on a solo trip.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
When I get out for a day in the park where I will be cooking a meal I use a handy container that is generally used for medications. It holds several different spices or seasonings in which tiny oxygen packets could be placed to keep each item dry enough to not get hard from dampness.

container.jpg

Faust

Explorer
Small baggies, the 2" x 3" x 6mm thick ones.
My meals are typically planned so a single baggie contains a mixture of spices for that specific meal/dish then a couple baggies that are not a mixture/blend just in case. I do pack a tiny pepper mill (about the size of a Bic lighter) because pre-ground pepper is not nearly the same as cracked pepper.
Liquids like cooking oil and hot sauce go into Nelgene bottles with a "squirt" cap (don't know the actual term) and the only reason I bring the cooking oil up is because the oil seems to get on the exterior of the bottle so it's best to store the bottle in a baggie so the oil doesn't get on anything else, specifically fabric/material.