• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How would you avoid theft while being around a populated campsite?

squ33

Novice Camper
While I went camping with my family during memorial day weekend, I was really concerned about leaving any valuables within our tent. Since it was memorial day weekend, the campsite was packed and I was afraid to leave certain items, such as my wallet, within our tent. I didn't want to bring it with me on our hiking/fishing trip so I was wondering if there was any kind of tent that was best for making sure that my valuables are secured while I went to do activities?

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Well, if you have a car parked nearby you could always lock valuables in there. I have not had any problems with theft at camp sites in the past however I would still recommend trying to avoid bringing valuables in the first place. Jewellery, watches, lots of cash, aren't too useful on a camp out!

If you're in a pinch I guess you can try hiding them out of sight under your bag or in your sleeping bag or something.

killeroy154

Survivalist
I have been lucky at my camp sites. As far as my wallet and stuff I will cram it in a dry lock box and take with me. I will leave stove, table and the bigger stuff out, but the smaller stuff like the more expensive things like a light weight back packing chair, or a small back packing stove, things that pack small (and usually more expensive because they are small and packable) I will hide in the tent. Out of site out of mind.

Roy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I've never had a theft while camping - at base camp where it is most likely to occur or interior camping - though that is an entirely different matter. I've never had a campsite vandalized either. Like killerroy154 says, "out of sight, out of mind".

I suppose it all has to do where you live. In my neck of the woods it hasn't been a problem and like I said I've never experienced the same.

missyify

Survivalist
I've left my purse locked in the car, hidden out of sight... Never had an issue with theft. If I were in a situation where I have to bring my wallet with me, I have little waterproof box on a lanyard to wear. They're pretty inexpensive. Good for car keys, too.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
The issue of security is an interesting topic of recent date - but like I've said I have not had any issues at all. I'm often surprised by the generosity and care taken by other campers for others. It's like a code in some ways - those of us who are serious campers tend to look out for one another. People are generally more friendly too. :)

upload_2016-7-26_13-12-21.png
HERE!

gracer

Explorer
When we camp with a lot of campers around, there would always be someone who has to stay inside or near the tent while others do some activities. Being the mom in my group, I would usually be the one staying and watching over our things. Theft is really a big problem here in my area so to keep safe, I serve as the guard in our group. :)

killeroy154

Survivalist
That's awful! I don't like to have to guard my things when I camp. I had to leave my vehicle a couple of nights at a very secluded boat launch, so I made sure there was nothing of value in it and left the drivers side door unlocked. I figured it been better if someone opened the door, looked around inside, and maybe not break glass or something to get in. I've had someone tear up the back of my truck to try to get at a cheap spare tire and a 20 dollar boat seat. 1,000 dollars worth of damage. It's sad.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Wow! I must be in "Cinderella Country" because I've never been confronted with those kinds of issues. I have real trouble wrapping my head around those things because I have never been exposed to them. Though I admit I do the usual - put things away and out of sight. [Out of sight - out of mind.] The OPP [Ontario Provincial Police] and Camp Wardens provide guide lines - much as the retailers do at Christmas time.

I suppose we are lucky in this neck of the woods because you can go to paces where the camping population is sparse or non existent.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPjK0sOqscZXV_Uw30eGzZSvt2onPQPCiRI0L0ykz_V1vf6Y7K.jpg
upload_2016-8-22_9-24-22.jpeg
My problem may be I can't tell the difference.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Oh yes on a lighter side. I have had my camp raided by raccoons while I soundly slept. I was camped on an island, so I never suspected a thing. Those little bandits sure made a mess.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...they sure can and I am more cognizant of the Raccoon than the bear. Raccoons can be vicious and more than that they carry diseases. We have a serious rabies problem in our neck of the woods due in part to the raccoon. On one occasion I discovered one of those salt packs dropped from the air that had rabies vacine.

Though I make fun of the situation the reality is that there are places that one must be aware of danger. I'm familiar with the areas that I canoe and camp in but I have also taken time to record emergency numbers, know safe places to go to, and know where local hospitals are. I have a Priest friend of mine in the Muskokas who is also a practising surgeon. I'd be calling him if I were in trouble. :)

gracer

Explorer
@killeroy154 It's clever of you to have thought about leaving your vehicle door unlocked to avoid any kind of breakage or damage in your car just in case a thief is around. Saves you the extra expense on having to have your car fixed while thinking about the idea that you got robbed. I'm just concerned about the presence of car nappers in that instance though because it would seem like a very easy target for them if you leave your car door unlocked.

I play a small cheap Radio Shack a.m. radio (not too loudly) in my all closed up tent while I'm gone.

Never had any thefts, even before I started the radio trick, but who knows?!?!

Friend of mine places a deer camera near his site after all his beer and booze was raided from his campsite a few years ago.

He has reported no thefts as of yet, but if he does, he hopes to nab the perps on camera!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

killeroy154

Survivalist
Sorry gracer, it's been a long time since I looked at this thread. I don't make it a habit to leave my vehicle unlocked, but I felt that it was a good idea at the time. Most of the later models, late 2000 and newer, have anti theft ignition switches.if they are tampered with the vehicle will not start, and mine wouldn't be worth stealing.

Justin, the radio is a good idea. I have thought about purchasing a couple of inexpensive signs that state the area is electronically monitored, and nail one up in a visible spot, so maybe no one messes with any thing.

Jason76

Novice Camper
I'm not really sure how I would avoid theft in such a situation. I suppose the only solution would be to take your wife, girlfriend, or trusted friend along. In that case, someone would be there to watch the stuff while you leave. Note, it would be impractical to lock everything up everytime you leave.

theduckslayer87

Novice Camper
I've never had an issue w/ theft while camping. It seems there's a good moral thread among people who enjoy the outdoors. That said, we are living in different times and there's always the outliers in any group. A trick I've seen people use at the beach for smaller valuables is to take a food container of some sort, clean it out and store stuff in it. For example, clean out a peanut butter jar, line it with light brown paper, and store a wallet, cash & other small valuables with your food. Now I'm not sure that's gonna deter a raccoon from dragging it away, but it should fool anyone who might be looking for a quick score at a campsite.

killeroy154

Survivalist
I'm not really sure how I would avoid theft in such a situation. I suppose the only solution would be to take your wife, girlfriend, or trusted friend along. In that case, someone would be there to watch the stuff while you leave. Note, it would be impractical to lock everything up everytime you leave.
That's a great idea! Take your wife, girlfriend, or mother and leave them there to guard your vehicle. I think I'll go ask my wife if she would mind doing that for me next time I go camping. Oh if you never hear from me again it's been good y'all.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Sorry Jason76 I didn't mean to be facetious. It realy does suck when someone steals your personal stuff. I like the what theduckslayer87 said about disguising a food container. Welcome theduckslayer77.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
I've often wondered about thi.uks same concern. With camping gear easily going into the thousands of dollars, high tech "criminals" can find a fast easy score, with no difficulty reselling what you worked hard for. I find I stay close to "home" when I'm out. I can't imagine all I've lost out in because of this fear of theft (founded or otherwise.) If any of you come up with a solution, I'll be most happy to hear it! Ha

Bibsoutdoors

Tim31556

Novice Camper
gett ya a pittbull a rottweiller and a bull mastiff.
give each one of them a big bone to chew on while youre gone. i dont think any one would dare even walk on youre property let alone ripp of youre belongings.