• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

I Like Lights!

killeroy154

Survivalist
Got a couple of new toys, I love things that light up. Plus it actually serves as a power supply. Not really anything I would try to attach to my hat, but it doesn't weigh much. I set my glasses pouch next to it for a size comparison. No brand name anywhere. The box says work light. Oh and they are rechargeable to.
2c938d4499c6b63b666ef09f1ccfa772.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
I also like lights that I don't leave my small flashlight when I go on a camping trip. But in the recent years, I also bring the compact rechargeable lamp which is better to be used especially when eating dinner. It would have been great if the solar charger works well.

rz3300

Explorer
I love all the newer and modern camping gear that is less intrusive but just smart, and a lot of these lighting fixtures are just that. One of my friends has one of those fan like things that light up when you open it and it is really cool and barely uses any power at all, and it has good range.

I was relying too much on solar rechargeable lights, which is unreliable when camping in the redwoods since we get those misty, foggy days. They help but now I'm looking for new options while getting my battery powered lights put. I really don't like it when my friends pull out their gas powered lanterns because we have enough fires around here.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I'm with you - I don't like the noise. You may want to check out the LuminAID lanterns for auxiliary lighting. I have the two types and they are perfect for night time. For one thing, they last the entire night and are easily charged. I've tested them in summer and winter and they are excellent. [Keeping in mind that I'm expressing a personal opinion.]
This model is about $29.00 and has four light settings you can select. I tend to use the third brightness and it lights up my campsite just fine. They fold down and can be packed easily.

AND THIS COMPANY DOES SOMETHING DIFFERENT TOO -

upload_2018-8-13_9-31-52.jpeg

Lights sponsored for disaster relief will be sent to partner organizations and distributed to families affected by Hurricane Irma, Hurricane Maria, and Hurricane Harvey. Current solar lantern distribution includes: Puerto Rico, Mexico, British Virgin Island, US Virgin Island, Turks and Caicos, Antigua & Barbuda, Barbados, Tortola, St Kitts & Nevis, Dominica, Leeward Islands, St. Maarten, Texas, Florida, and the Dominican Republic. Following natural disasters, safe light is one of the most critical needs for families left in the dark. Help us send lights for rescue, relief, and recovery.

I still have two of their older models that I purchased years ago and they both work fine.

I rely heavily on my headlight that enables my hands to be free. Check out their web site@ LuminAID Solar Lantern.

Attachments

killeroy154

Survivalist
I don't like buying and replacing batteries. Most of the times when I camp, we only use our head lamps. I still pack the lights, thst I posted a picture of, but the only time I use them is to charge my phone battery.

I don't like buying and replacing batteries. Most of the times when I camp, we only use our head lamps. I still pack the lights, thst I posted a picture of, but the only time I use them is to charge my phone battery.
Yeah, i mostly need lights if I have work to do, otherwise I enjoy the night. This is especially true when we have meteor showers.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I'm sort of progressive - from propane lanterns to kerosene/citronella, to flashlights of various kinds, and now mostly solar powered. The solar scene has improved remarkably. I use a headlight too - the one I have actually shines like a headlight and gives a broad view of what is in front of me. It can be reduced and also has the red light. I do have the Goalzero system that provides tent lighting and also a power source for small items like DVD's etc.

killeroy154

Survivalist
I've got the old Coleman lantern my family used when I was kid. It is a single mantel that uses white gas. I bet it has the DNA from my whole family from all the times we burned our selves on the hot top of that thing. My brothers and I used to lick our fingers and touch it to the top just to hear it sizzle. Sometimes we would see who could put their finger on it for the longest amout of time before pulling away. Oh the fun we had camping. My parents must of had the patience of saints. Well my uncle, Dads brother, was always putting us kids up to something. I dont know how Mom and Dad didnt loose it and beat the tar out of us. That is a sweet little lantern. I remember the quiet little hissing sound it would make, and it always put out the right amount of light. Never to bright.

Yep still got it in the basement. The globe is broken, and I bet ain't used it in 20 some years. I ought to replace the globe, clean it up and hang it in the house.
vintage-1966-coleman-model-200a-red-lantern-single-mantle-camping-lamp_1801797.jpeg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
What we did when.

I have a similar Coleman lantern too and it just sits there hoping that I will pick it up and use it again. I always remember the sound it made in the middle of a night. Everything was beautifully quiet except for this screaming lantern that was sucking in the air. I remember the puff of flame as I stuck a match into the narrow entry to get it going. Then they brought out the flint lighter to save the fingers from getting burned.

I use the Primus Lantern and find that they are seemingly more efficient and quiet. I like the idea that the cylinder can be recycled. They provide excellent lighting, take a lot less space and can be packed away easily.

We have so many more choices today and the designers just keep coming up with more stuff; it's almost insane the many products you can buy.

upload_2018-8-16_8-50-16.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQMdgluXlCJsv-Rzd7jWEqUC2x8zmIHu2Gw1EGHeZ1WJbVHDuGyQ.jpg

I've got the old Coleman lantern my family used when I was kid. It is a single mantel that uses white gas. I bet it has the DNA from my whole family from all the times we burned our selves on the hot top of that thing. My brothers and I used to lick our fingers and touch it to the top just to hear it sizzle. Sometimes we would see who could put their finger on it for the longest amout of time before pulling away. Oh the fun we had camping. My parents must of had the patience of saints. Well my uncle, Dads brother, was always putting us kids up to something. I dont know how Mom and Dad didnt loose it and beat the tar out of us. That is a sweet little lantern. I remember the quiet little hissing sound it would make, and it always put out the right amount of light. Never to bright.

Yep still got it in the basement. The globe is broken, and I bet ain't used it in 20 some years. I ought to replace the globe, clean it up and hang it in the house.View attachment 4821
I have a couple from my grandparents

killeroy154

Survivalist
I've been seeing a lot of those old Coleman lanterns showing up at antique stores.

Oh I just remembered a time when my brother and I were camping down by a creek that was maybe a 100 yards from the house. Dad worked an afternoon shift at his job, and he would get home about midnight or so. Well we had the old Coleman lantern wide open, and it really lit up the the campsite and creek bottom. It wasn't maybe a few seconds after we heard Dads truck get to the house and he yelled down to us "hey what kind of gas did you put in that thing?" We replied sort of puzzled why he asked "just the gas from the lawn mower jug". I remembered hearing something like... What the#! $#are you two thinking! Put that thing out before you blow yourselves to kingdom come! Dad was never short on expletives, but we knew he loved us. I didn't realize you weren't supposed to use regular gasoline.

Another time was when Dad and I were getting ready to leave the campsite and head out in the boat across the lake and go fishing, and Mom asked if we could find the camp after dark? She had a very good point because no lights from camp could be seen through the thick trees. This took some thinking because we didn't have a GPS thingy. I had a solution. I had a double mantel lantern that could only be run on high, or it would deafen a person by the intense whistling noise it produced if turned down. I filled it with fuel and set it near the waters edge, and cranked it up wide open. Dad found this idea to be humorous. Sure enough when we were headed back after dark, I could see that lamp glowing like a beacon from a good mile away.

Ya know I haven't bought a lantern in years. I like the looks of that Primus one that Northern Dancer spoke of. I've got one of the burners that use that type of fuel, and the fuel cans are smaller and pack better then the Coleman propane cans. Maybe it's time I upgrade? Thanks Dancer.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
You are right @Liz_simmons707, there are numerous options. You have to decide what is best for your needs. I will say - I stay away from the gadget lighting. If it's lighting I want that is what I stay with. I would not mix them.

I use the Goal Zero system too - a little on the expensive side to get started but I like the benefits. I can plug in small units like my CD or DVD and the like.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMlF9g9upLUUQq6T4Ty4z7Plnh6ChGUT1IPyAOtu32UIhEJEKhWw.jpg
upload_2018-8-19_11-40-13.jpeg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSatWolys4se0bBR6f9uclG7S2apkT__7-LmfudPRm_zIhj0CmvdA.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUSNe-mDX5fDzTpKNQM9yadxZXRyepJIXhmFD3A1nga-bNY5bd.jpg
You make up your own lighting systems too. This one uses a headlamp and a milk jug to brighten up the darkness.