• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Idea: Consider A spot for video's

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I found a really interesting & humorous video on encountering bears in the woods, and it shows what to do and what not to do, in case you ever meet a bear head-on. I think being able to add such video's might be fun. Although, Camp-forums, should have the finally say on what can be added, to insure it fits with the site.
So, what do you think of this idea?

campforums

Founder
Staff member
You mean a section dedicated only for videos? Why not post the video under whichever existing section it best fits?

There is already a way to embed videos from popular sites like YouTube.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I will try to embed the video. I tried doing it once before with a different video and it did not work, so I thought perhapes the site was not set up to accept video's.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
2sweed said:
I will try to embed the video. I tried doing it once before with a different video and it did not work, so I thought perhapes the site was not set up to accept video's.
It should work, let me know if you are having anymore difficulties.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
When I tried to embed the video all it did was show the text, not the video itself. I tried three times and gave up before sending you the link. I will try it again tonight under the nature topic wolfs/bear encounters. If it is not there it means it would not work.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
2sweed said:
When I tried to embed the video all it did was show the text, not the video itself. I tried three times and gave up before sending you the link. I will try it again tonight under the nature topic wolfs/bear encounters. If it is not there it means it would not work.
Could you please post the code that was not working? It seems to be working for me and I think there might be a problem with your BB code. For example, a YouTube video can be embedded like this:

Code:
[MEDIA=youtube]http://youtu.be/JJAVe57yH-o[/MEDIA]
Or by pressing the TV icon in the message editor and selecting the video sharing site you want to embed from.

Edited to update new YouTube embed code.

Last edited:

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Maybe it is because I wanted it under the wolf/bear encounter topic in nature section. So when I put it in reply box there is no TV icon to use. If we had a special section for video's and if I was to add it in as a new thread, I would have more tools to work with. I am not good with codes and that is why I offered the link to you, hoping it would work for you.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
2sweed said:
Maybe it is because I wanted it under the wolf/bear encounter topic in nature section. So when I put it in reply box there is no TV icon to use. If we had a special section for video's and if I was to add it in as a new thread, I would have more tools to work with. I am not good with codes and that is why I offered the link to you, hoping it would work for you.
Yes, you are correct. There is no icons in the quick reply box, however if you click reply on another poster or press the new reply button on the bottom of the thread you will see the full post editor which has this button.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Erik, I put a few more video links under the nature topic in the edible plant topic, as well as, in the topic into the wild. I will attempt the embed the way you said, if not you know I can use the help. Thanks.
I tried to do it but the browser I am using is not allowing me to use the embed tool. Sorry.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
2sweed said:
Erik, I put a few more video links under the nature topic in the edible plant topic, as well as, in the topic into the wild. I will attempt the embed the way you said, if not you know I can use the help. Thanks.
I tried to do it but the browser I am using is not allowing me to use the embed tool. Sorry.
Thanks for updating your post with the result, which browser are you using? What happened when you tried?

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I am using Chrome, as my IE browser is too old. When I attempted to use embed it ask me what site I wanted to embed it on and or listed several choices including chrome. But when I thought I could copy the code for the embed video and paste it here and my browser refused to give me the copy & paste choices, or ability to use my computer to transfer it. So I went back to the copy link to site choice. Hope that makes sense.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I added video links in the food section one under the Turtle post and two under Catch that fish, if you want to embed them. Also in Wild plant section about grapes I added two video links. I am sorry that my browser will not let me embed these video's. But they are good ID tools.