• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Improvised brick oven

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
This is a style of cooking that our scout master made a demo. I hope I remember it correctly. The meat was wrapped in banana leaves and placed on a flat stone which was surrounded by rocks all around. Small branches of wood and twigs were made into a roof. The sides were filled with combustible materials like leaves and twigs. There was a sort of blaze when it was lighted. Wait, I forgot some banana leaves to serve as top cover of the meat. Now to continue, The fire ate all the wood in about 5 minutes but the heat will dissipate slowly so the cooking is still in progress even when there was no more fire. I don't remember how long it took before the meat was retrieved. By the way, it was chicken meat that was cooked so well that it was tender and delicious.