• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Kayak options

pharrmgirl

I'm trying to decide between a sit on or sit in kayak. I usually float on rivers and take a cooler. I'd like to do some fishing this spring and summer. Any opinions?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

killeroy154

Survivalist
I would go for a sit on top. My nephew fished out of a sit in kayak and here's the problems he has. There is very limited room for anything large like a cooler. If you have a fishing pole, you have to shove it in the cockpit hole with yourself and watch out for the hooks. Most times your going to get your feet wet getting in or out of one. His water bottle rolled down around his feet a couple of times while fishing, so he had to get out to get it. A sit on top I think would be easier to get on and off. Have room to strap a cooler. Can even mount rod holders. Oh and cooler weather, a sit in kayak may be like sitting in a refrigerator when the water is cold. Kayaks are very stable and are great on the water, so I'm not going to trash them. I do like canoes better because you don't have to worry about your stuff falling into the water, and you can pack lots of stuff in them. Besides they just look, cooler.

pharrmgirl

I would go for a sit on top. My nephew fished out of a sit in kayak and here's the problems he has. There is very limited room for anything large like a cooler. If you have a fishing pole, you have to shove it in the cockpit hole with yourself and watch out for the hooks. Most times your going to get your feet wet getting in or out of one. His water bottle rolled down around his feet a couple of times while fishing, so he had to get out to get it. A sit on top I think would be easier to get on and off. Have room to strap a cooler. Can even mount rod holders. Oh and cooler weather, a sit in kayak may be like sitting in a refrigerator when the water is cold. Kayaks are very stable and are great on the water, so I'm not going to trash them. I do like canoes better because you don't have to worry about your stuff falling into the water, and you can pack lots of stuff in them. Besides they just look, cooler.
Thanks for the input. I had a sit in and liked it, but I had an accident and now wondering about getting a sit on top. Your comment really helps. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk