• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Knowing the characteristics of the water

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
I have heard and read of accidents of campers in the water particularly in the river. Is is mostly caused by their ignorance of the water. An actual accident 2 years ago in a river resulted in the death of 7 college students who didn't know that the river water would surge once in a while. In another occasion, a tv personality died of drowning in the sea when the small boat he was riding on capsized. He was not wearing a life vest. Those accidents could have been avoided if the victims knew of the water's characteristics.

rz3300

Explorer
Well this is probably way underrated, but I would hope that people learn this pretty quickly, as I am sure they do if they are on the water a lot. Of course this is easier said than done because with rivers things can change pretty quickly, especially when close to larger bodies.