• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Mammoth Cave in Kentucky

Jason76

Novice Camper
I think I saw these as a teenager on some family trip. Anyway, I'm sure there is camping available. Anyway, does anyone know of other important parks in KY? Myself, I used to travel thru southeast KY on the way to see my brother at Berea college, going thru towns like Middlesboro (fun trivia fact: It was formed from a crater.), Barboursville, and Corbin, the home of KFC.

killeroy154

Survivalist
I didn't know that about Middlesboro! Are you old enough to remember the old 2 lane highway, before they built the tunnel? We went hiking up the mountain from Cumberland gap, and we could see Middlesboro from the top. It was a strategic area during the Civil war. Getting over these mountains back then was a real feat. You had to follow game trails on foot, or maybe with a mule. It wasn't as simple as find a gap to go through, or just walk over the top. There were river and creek gorges with steep bluffs in the gaps, and steep cliffs near the tops. When people went west from the Virginias, they would follow the Shenandoah valley south, they would come through these valleys here in east Tennessee, and avoid crossing over the mountains if they could.

I'm sorry getting carried away. About normal time to go home and go to bed, but got to work over uuunnn. Maybe I need some coffee.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk