• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Maximum number of views for guests?

campforums

Founder
Staff member
I have seen some other sites use this method to help increase the number of registrations. I am looking for some feedback to decide whether it would be worth implementing here. Do you think that this kind of thing would be a nuisance or a good recruitment tactic? We have quite a few guests who come and just read the threads but I don't know if forcing them to register would even work to get them to post.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I'll wade in on this one. Well...then again perhaps I should wade out. :( Because I don't know the ins and outs of the business. Anyway - it really is a difficult question; you have managed to presented both sides of the argument in a couple of sentences. And as you can see by the response it is not everyone's invested interest.

:thumbsup: Here are a few thoughts -

When I'm confronted with this sort of dilemma I tend to introduce test models and examine/measure the results. You have to be clear what the goal is and what you hope to achieve. Sort of some kind of experimentation process. :pompous:

:happy: Then again - we need to appreciate the fact we are not a commercial site, hidden or otherwise, and it may not make any difference. I personally like the fact that I'm not bombarded by numerous commercials or have highfalutin persons making me look like a simpleton.

:finger: What would we/you be recruiting for?

:snaphappy: My attention would be given to the membership and keeping them involved and online. SO...it might be that if people are really interested they sign up and hopefully stay active. We keep their interest by providing the forums that are relevant to their experience and interest and not be afraid to branch out. BUT...staying within the mandate of the forum. We can't be all things to all people.

I've been with this site for almost a year and I've noticed that you have no difficulty changing, improving, and making things interesting. I sense there are always creative ideas percolating in your head.

:angelic: I could be out to lunch on this one but I think focusing on the membership and cultivating/nurturing the same would be the greater asset.

ago puteus foris

Last edited:

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Sorry, I forgot to reply to this one but I think you probably noticed that I decided not to do this. What I really got out of your message was: "if people are really interested they sign up and hopefully stay active". I figure there is no point forcing registrations if they will not post anyways and at the same time it also has potential to deter search engines from indexing the site and casual users from reading.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Sorry, I forgot to reply to this one but I think you probably noticed that I decided not to do this. What I really got out of your message was: "if people are really interested they sign up and hopefully stay active". I figure there is no point forcing registrations if they will not post anyways and at the same time it also has potential to deter search engines from indexing the site and casual users from reading.
"Among the thorns there is a rose." Yep, without the trimming that was the message. BUT...like you are already doing - you make the rose more attractive to the bees. :finger:

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Thought I would add my two cents to the pot. I am on another forum that does this to encourage those that stop by to read as guests. Thus they read a few posts and then are prompted to join. In someways more people join, but as for sticking with the forum for any length of time or for that matter adding posts that are helpful or encourage more replies is slim at best. I think people join more when a forum is of their interest, as well as, a forum that has interesting conversations going on that grow and do not get stuck or boring over time. Adding fresh new comments that are informative or witty keeps folks coming back for more.
Tickle their funny bone or tell whoppers enough makes it hard not to want to be a part of this here forum.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Thought I would add my two cents to the pot. I am on another forum that does this to encourage those that stop by to read as guests. Thus they read a few posts and then are prompted to join. In someways more people join, but as for sticking with the forum for any length of time or for that matter adding posts that are helpful or encourage more replies is slim at best. I think people join more when a forum is of their interest, as well as, a forum that has interesting conversations going on that grow and do not get stuck or boring over time. Adding fresh new comments that are informative or witty keeps folks coming back for more.
Tickle their funny bone or tell whoppers enough makes it hard not to want to be a part of this here forum.
Well said. Thanks for the feedback, as you can tell I decided not to do it. Basically I had a similar line of thinking and decided it was not worth the hassle along with potential problems with allowing search engines to index the site's content.