• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

New Camp Saw?

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
a442efb7d006b991ea8a356c914fa353.jpg
look what I got today at an antique store for 15 bucks. Forget that little ole camp bow saw! I'll cut some real fire wood now.

What you think?
Those teeth look very aggressive, are they sharp? May be the picture, but the blade looks like it could use some polishing and oiling. Handle looks in good shape and strong. Yeah, $15 was a steal. You say you got this at an antique shop? I'm surprised at the price they usually rob you. Good job!
251fee779624439e4321789b0d23b2e0.jpg
let's cut some wood!

Bibsoutdoors

killeroy154

Survivalist
Good morning. Yeh I think I sawed wood all night. First night I had off all week, and the cat was wondering why I was in bed with the wife all night. Up and lit oil lamp and got cup of joe. I enjoy this.
1d5bcde618d0fdf34ef89fc65aeb7ff5.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Good morning. Yeh I think I sawed wood all night. First night I had off all week, and the cat was wondering why I was in bed with the wife all night. Up and lit oil lamp and got cup of joe. I enjoy this.
1d5bcde618d0fdf34ef89fc65aeb7ff5.jpg
Oh my wife would be all over that lamp! Good morning! I'm glad to hear you had a good night. I get a kick out of that cat of yours, last picture just slays me, your both stretched out in bed. [emoji192] I'm going to go wild today and have a cup of French Vanilla Cappuccino for a first cup of coffee today. I'm sitting here with my dog waiting for the wife to get up. She is entitled to sleep in today, but I'm getting anxious for that joe. Did you go fishing?
bac09763a7a71ab9f73225442141b49e.gif

Bibsoutdoors

killeroy154

Survivalist
Tabasco sauce? I got this amber glass one at a yard sale. It's a 1940????? Aladdin that burns kerosene. About 100 dollars.

caf8373cc18d51149b9dd90f08460486.jpg
this brass Aladdin is née and got it for about 60 but after new wick, mantel and chimney comes to about 100 bucks also. I like them.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Tabasco sauce? I got this amber glass one at a yard sale. It's a 1940????? Aladdin that burns kerosene. About 100 dollars.

caf8373cc18d51149b9dd90f08460486.jpg
this brass Aladdin is née and got it for about 60 but after new wick, mantel and chimney comes to about 100 bucks also. I like them.
Just showed my wife that lantern, I swear she drooled. Beautiful lamp! Yeah, I have only the best, empty bottle of tabasco sauce, filled with lamp oil and an old wick placed in it. Burns asking time, light out isn't overwhelming! Ha

Bibsoutdoors

killeroy154

Survivalist
Thanks. I do like it here, but there is beauty in lots of states. Wife keeps interupting my camping stuff with her research of her antique pistols that she inherited from her dad and grandfather.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
a442efb7d006b991ea8a356c914fa353.jpg
look what I got today at an antique store for 15 bucks. Forget that little ole camp bow saw! I'll cut some real fire wood now.

What you think?
----->
Brilliant idea! Come May I think I will have my first Camp Equipment Yard Sale. I have so much stuff I don't know what I really have.
I like your interesting purchase, ya just aintin noan whats you might find .
Looking around the household the only antique is probably me. o_O

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
I just got a new saw
20170419_140514.jpg
20170419_140514.jpg
20170419_140506.jpg

Silky has some really nice folding saws. I like this one for the aggressive teeth and compactness. Stores in a hard plastic case. Now, to get it out and try it.

Attachments

killeroy154

Survivalist
Good looking packable saw. I think next camp saw I buy will be a rechargeable chain saw. Wow I was just joking around! New camp equipment!
9297008a41200dbceee4c3e3633dec0d.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Well, forget this camp saw unless you really want a good work out
fe22926df70c07accd273b2fd15ba2fe.jpg
Those teeth look super aggressive. Arnold Schwarzenegger would have a hard time pulling that saw through anything but jelly!

I've seen those electric (battery) chain saws. We use electric (plug in) chain saw. We use it with a propane generator or outside outlets. No problems like so many have with gas/oil mixes. Anyway, when we looked at battery operated saws, I was afraid they were too new on the market. New products are either knock outs or need allot of fine tuning. I decided to wait and see how other people got along with them. On other forums I've read were other people are considering battery chain saws, but no one reviewing them yet. Well see. I can't imagine the weight aspect and I wonder what the true benefit would be. That little Silky saw I have is aggressive and smooth, it's really no work to get great results. To each their own I guess.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...back to saws.

For the most part I've tended to use the hatchet to cut up my wood. Recently I've noted that the "guys" (the various videos I viewed) tended to use both including knives. So...there was a boxing day sale at Sail - one of our local big box outdoor stores. Yep! I bought it. [It was on the list of new equipment to purchase.] I did a tad of research and purchased the Gerber (take down) saw and have used it to see how it performed. I'm happy and the price was okay too.

So now I have a Gerber knife (hardly ever used) and my spanking new fold up saw.

upload_2018-1-12_18-6-59.jpeg
upload_2018-1-12_18-7-24.jpeg