• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

New Reviews Feature Discussion

campforums

Founder
Staff member
As some of you may already know, Camping Babble is soon going to have a snazzy new reviews function (https://campingbabble.com/reviews/) so that we can create a listing of various camping products. This thread is going to be for discussing what the best way to organize the products and reviews will be.

I have tried to keep the categories logical but also closely matching to the forum structure, this way the discussion threads from various items can easily be sorted into the appropriate section of the main forum and be accessed either way. For example, notice how the Tents all get put into the Shelter forum.

The main thing I am undecided on is setting the custom data for each item. For example, other than the star rating and review contents; what data should be able to be entered for different item types? How do you normally search for items?

For example for a tent, we might have:
  • Brand
  • Number of people it can fit
  • Color
  • Style (dome, a-frame, etc.)
  • Material
Whereas for a knife we could have:
  • Brand
  • Steel name
  • Blade length
Please feel free to add your comments and suggestions particularly regarding the additional data and how items should be sorted. Thanks

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I like this idea. We can be informed by our own members as in how the equipment we own actually works and type of construction, color, and number of people that can be comfortably crammed into one. Or how that named cook pot or lantern worked and held up over time. Etc.... Good idea, Erik! :)

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Thanks, that was the intention. Hopefully I will be able to open it up to start accepting content from members before Christmas. I think Camping Babble can become a good spot for reviews on all sorts of camping products unlike any other on the web.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
There are still some bugs in the review functionality that are being ironed out but I already have a good feeling about this new section of the site.

I am especially excited about the way we will be able to review various camp grounds and plot their locations. I have only added a few as sample data but it looks great: https://campingbabble.com/reviews/camp-sites/canada/