• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

OK - This one's got me beat. Adding pictures?

MacGyver

Survivalist
I'm no stranger to online forums and know each one has their own way of doing things, but I'm lost when it comes to putting pictures up on here. When I go to upload a file, I get an error message. I see others' pictures are put up as attachments but don't see anything that says add an attachment. So where are the magic links here? :)

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I'm no stranger to online forums and know each one has their own way of doing things, but I'm lost when it comes to putting pictures up on here. When I go to upload a file, I get an error message. I see others' pictures are put up as attachments but don't see anything that says add an attachment. So where are the magic links here? :)
Okay - here is one way. Pick a topic - say campfires.
Go to the net type it in, click IMAGES, (at the top: the Web comes first, then Images)
Pick the picture you want - right click,
Scroll down to COPY IMAGE click right.
Now you go the page that you want the image placed.
You click PASTE and you should have it.

There are two other methods - one for personal pictures and videos.

But...for now let's just work on this one.

MacGyver

Survivalist
I guess I've been on so many forums that I always just type out code for formatting text, for links, and adding images instead of using the prompts. It's just quicker for me. I want to upload pictures from my computer without having to post them on a hosting site. Links on host sites die, pictures loaded to a forum (usually) live on. I guess I'm curious about the other two methods on here.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I guess I've been on so many forums that I always just type out code for formatting text, for links, and adding images instead of using the prompts. It's just quicker for me. I want to upload pictures from my computer without having to post them on a hosting site. Links on host sites die, pictures loaded to a forum (usually) live on. I guess I'm curious about the other two methods on here.
Eric is a pro at this stuff and he will have some fast and efficient ways of managing this.

I use a system called Tiny picks to transport my photos but I'm sure that he has something better.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Well you have the option to type out your post using BB code (click the wrench icon in the top right corner of the editor to do this) although I am also an expert with the codes but still find using the toolbar is a lot faster so I'd still recommend going that route since the XenForo editor is a lot better than most of the ones I've seen on other forums.

As for uploading images, you should be able to do so via the "Upload a File" button. Do you remember what the error message you received was? Because as far as I know there are not any problems with it. Once you have uploaded a file through the "Upload a File" dialog, you will have the option to insert the image into your post either as a full size image, a thumbnail, or do neither and a small link/thumbnail will be displayed at the bottom of your post.

Let me know if you are still having issues and I will do my best to help you out! Cheers :)

MacGyver

Survivalist
Obviously I can upload when I post a picture from a host, but this is the error that pops up when I try to use the Upload a File on here. It doesn't tell us much, does it :)

Error_zps3a9b1482.png

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Hmm, funny but I cannot seem to replicate the error on my end. Could you try sending the file by email to contact@campingbabble.com? Also what browser you are using would be helpful.

Thank you so much for helping to debug this issue.

MacGyver

Survivalist
It's funny you mention browsers. I'm using Opera 26 to view this site because Firefox doesn't display the buttons above the posts properly. I just checked to make sure both browsers are up to date. I'll include a screen shot of that in the email as well. I do a lot of photo editing and save everything in png format. Thinking the site didn't like that format, I also tried to upload a jpg version. Neither one worked.