• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Old-time camping trip at Yellowstone Park

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
This is an amazing article and picture of a company back in the early 1900's that took people on camping trips into Yellowstone Park. The trip cost about $250, which would be close to $5000 in today's economy.
I had no idea that they would even do this kind of a vacation trip back then.
People already had to travel by horse and buggy most of the time anyway; but I guess, even so, a camping trip was a lot of fun.
I am having trouble adding the text article, will try to add it as a picture. Sorry.

image.jpg

Tex Holm party doing the Corkscrew Bridge near the summit of Sylvan Pass.
A.G. Lucier Photo. Aprox. date of photo, 1904 - 1907

Aron 'Tex' Holm and his Camping & Transportation Companies
Serving Yellowstone National Park From Cody, Wyoming Through the East Entrance.
- In 1901 Aron "Tex" Holm and his wife Katherine began transporting small camping parties in Yellowstone via the northeast entrance at Cooke City. Late in 1903 they began using the new east entrance road over Sylvan Pass. In 1906 Aron 'Tex' Holm and F.H. Welch were permitted to conduct camping parties through the park using wagons and saddle horses. The company was headquarter in Cody, with rail access from the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy RR. They offered 14 and 18-day camping trips in covered surreys or ‘wagonettes’ built with extra good springs for mountain service. Saddle horses were available for those who desired them. Canvas-bottomed tepees were used for sleeping and were complete with mattresses, blankets, and comforters. A private ‘toilet tent’ was set up for the ladies at each camp. Women cooks prepared meals in a covered cook wagon, using canned goods, smoked meats, fresh vegetables and trout.
- Big game hunting parties were offered by Holm into the surrounding National Forests areas as were trips to Jackson Hole on horseback with pack outfits. These trips lasted from 25-30 days, covering about 200 miles. Experienced guides and cooks accompanied each party. The route traversed the "wildest and most rugged parts of the Rockies, away from civilization, making many side trips into parts which have never been visited by other parties." The cost of this adventure was $250, which covered all the expenses from Cody and the return trip.

- In 1915, with an excess of debts and other problems, the Holm Transportation Company
finished out the season, but went bankrupt in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I would imagine that back then, even more so than today, if you went into the wilderness having a guide and protection from the wildlife was very much needed. Often the rich would use these trips for entertainment, as most could not afford the fee. I know that in Pa., they took the train rides across the Kinzua Bridge, back in the hay day just for an interesting days outing with picnic included.

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
If you have a link to the article, I can see if I can help with uploading it as text instead of an image. Thanks for sharing :)
It actually came from a page that I follow on Facebook, called Who Knows East- Old Photographs.
I couldn't get the text to copy and paste; so I just took a screenshot, cropped the edges off of it so that just the article was left, and then attached it as a file.
Even after I took the screenshot, it would not let me copy it, for some reason. At least it turned out okay and everyone can read it.
If anyone knows a better way to do it, I am listening. Guruette, I am not.

MacGyver

Survivalist
You can use your mouse to move the cursor to the beginning of the text then move the mouse down to highlight the text then either right click to copy or hit ctrl+c to copy.
OR - you can right click on the page and Select All or ctrl+A, then ctrl+c to copy. That option will give you more text than you want, so you then copy it all into a notepad and edit it down to what you want. Might sound complicated, but it becomes routine the more you do it.