• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Picnic?

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Yesterday afternoon my phone rang, it was my wife. With a smile on her voice she said to me, "Should I take a mental health day tomorrow, we can get out somewhere new and make something to eat, maybe lay around in our hammocks for awhile?" Well what was I to say, seemed to be a win, win to me. Food and hammocks...I can hear the angels now...

So tomorrow is here. We are having coffee and finalizing the plans. We will be going to Kohler-Andrae State Parkmain.jpegimages.jpeg958496_orig.jpg

I feel like I'm going to a wooded city. Trees and lake with extremely manicured roads and walk ways. It's a state park I guess that's how they roll. I do prefer the over growth of a forest.

We will have an overcast day, 43°F humidity around 50 - 55%. 40% chance of rain.

Equipment being brought:
Tarps; Kelty Noah 16 x 2. Kelty Noah 12 x 2. Tarp poles x 4. Hammocks; Clark Jungle NX-250 and Amok Draumr 3.0. There are always four different types of stoves in the back of the car. Outdoor rocking chairs x 2.

Food; BBQ pork loin sandwiches, chips including white cheddar popcorn (weakness of mine), cookies, apples, coffee.

Update before this is even sent. Raining out presently so I guess the tarps will be the first things up. Best make sure they are easily accessible.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
IMG_0675.jpg

I'm not usually a drinking man.
But every now and then I like to make a toast to friends and colleagues.

To you and to all our Camping Babblers -
A summer filled with joy and pleasure,
peace and happiness,
sunshine and gentle showers,

and abundance of life.

upload_2017-5-9_12-38-47.jpeg

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Fantastic ND! Thank you!

We are here at Kohler-Andrae, it is just as mentioned in an earlier post, GROOMED. LOL. 20170509_131716.jpg

Well I've taken 15 pictures so far and this is the only one that will up load??? It's cool here and overcast, gentle breeze with a temp in mid 40's. We are right next to Lake Michigan (wish I could show you pictures) it's an easy 10°F cooler here than inland just a hand full of miles. Margo and I have already opened a bag of cheese popcorn (giggle). The plan is to stay until dark. Wish I could share more pics, it is beautiful here by the lake. Later!

Attachments

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Just got home, and we had a wonderful, relaxing, peaceful day. Not camping, but really nice to get away. Saw a total of eight people in passing...quite.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
It's just good to get out and relax. If we waited for the perfect time or perfect weather we could waste our time forever. Your dog has the right idea - smart.

I'm now preparing in earnest for my first crack being outdoors for a longer period of time. I'll be away for three weeks beginning the Tuesday after the Victoria Holiday Weekend Monday May 22nd. I'll have a base camp at Cannisbay Lake one of my favourite stay put places. I'm not planning anything sensational but I am hoping to spot moose in the area. I'd love to up grade my photos.

Everything that one could plan for is planned, right down to the biodegradable toilet paper and DVD's I plan to watch. [All comedy of course.] Every book is catalogued and every piece of equipment for this venture is packed and ready to go.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSELrHZSpvGDV_03umDzaXo-O0EOrRU1JJJrw7wRE0pFta2s6Vh.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm-55krMbmtIEjRkJaFQB6ITAcbasX1gjgDtshN0P4mOhWgFLD.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL8JvTvs-kwyfZxeDyFTxesTmPVcCFJ3ZZHybs6xVOC-RRwP-u.jpg

It's all waiting for me...

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Oh fantastic, just fantastic ND. It's awesome to have a favorite get away location, an ace up your sleeve. Moose hunting with your camera, how fun would that be. Pictures for fun or are you shooting for professional purposes? Pictures look great. I especially like that bench in the first pic. I'll be cutting one for us. The weeks of bliss, enjoy!

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Great stuff! I sometimes enjoy the photos more than the articles. I'm just shooting for the enjoyment. The beach is nice and sandy as well as the swimming area proper. I'm not sure I'll get into the water unless it heats up mighty quickly. On this side of the beach (not seen) is the canoe portage station. It's a meeting place for trippers who come ashore and enjoy the terrain and relax before picking up.

I have two cameras this year and it would be great to have a lot of moose photos.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Yesterday afternoon my phone rang, it was my wife. With a smile on her voice she said to me, "Should I take a mental health day tomorrow, we can get out somewhere new and make something to eat, maybe lay around in our hammocks for awhile?" Well what was I to say, seemed to be a win, win to me. Food and hammocks...I can hear the angels now...

So tomorrow is here. We are having coffee and finalizing the plans. We will be going to Kohler-Andrae State ParkView attachment 2457View attachment 2459View attachment 2460

I feel like I'm going to a wooded city. Trees and lake with extremely manicured roads and walk ways. It's a state park I guess that's how they roll. I do prefer the over growth of a forest.

We will have an overcast day, 43°F humidity around 50 - 55%. 40% chance of rain.

Equipment being brought:
Tarps; Kelty Noah 16 x 2. Kelty Noah 12 x 2. Tarp poles x 4. Hammocks; Clark Jungle NX-250 and Amok Draumr 3.0. There are always four different types of stoves in the back of the car. Outdoor rocking chairs x 2.

Food; BBQ pork loin sandwiches, chips including white cheddar popcorn (weakness of mine), cookies, apples, coffee.

Update before this is even sent. Raining out presently so I guess the tarps will be the first things up. Best make sure they are easily accessible.
-----> I was drooling as I looked at your photos Bibsoutdoors and they sure reminded me of where I wanted to be. Funny that - no matter where the picture is taken somehow we identify with it in some way.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Great pictures you 2. It is nice just to get away for a day. I grew up on the other side of lake Michigan from where you were, I guess you were on the west side of the lake. Cool out but beautiful.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Great stuff! I sometimes enjoy the photos more than the articles. I'm just shooting for the enjoyment. The beach is nice and sandy as well as the swimming area proper. I'm not sure I'll get into the water unless it heats up mighty quickly. On this side of the beach (not seen) is the canoe portage station. It's a meeting place for trippers who come ashore and enjoy the terrain and relax before picking up.

I have two cameras this year and it would be great to have a lot of moose photos.
Does your camera (one or the other, maybe both) also allow you to shoot video? It sounds like you are beginning to warm to the retirement option of life, I do hope so. My wife was going to retire this year but keeps getting hung up on putting in 30 years with the federal government (something she just wants to do for herself I guess) so now she says, "One more year." We will be doing things like camping and picnics much more often once she pulls the plug. Unless I'm dead by then (I've already gotten 13 1/2 years in and would REALLY like to do things with her and not worry about "Monday's.") We are also going to move some where closer to a forest so, big things are going to be happening "soon." Unlike you, (I'm jealous) I don't have that favorite get away place that I can count on. Oh the idea alone makes me hungry! It sounds like you have things planned out wonderfully for your get away, I hope it's a time of joy for you.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist

Does your camera (one or the other, maybe both) also allow you to shoot video? It sounds like you are beginning to warm to the retirement option of life, I do hope so. My wife was going to retire this year but keeps getting hung up on putting in 30 years with the federal government (something she just wants to do for herself I guess) so now she says, "One more year." We will be doing things like camping and picnics much more often once she pulls the plug. Unless I'm dead by then (I've already gotten 13 1/2 years in and would REALLY like to do things with her and not worry about "Monday's. We are also going to move some where closer to a forest so, big things are going to be happening "soon."
-----> I was drooling as I looked at your photos Bibsoutdoors and they sure reminded me of where I wanted to be. Funny that - no matter where the picture is taken somehow we identify with it in some way.
It's comforting to know we are "home" where ever the river, lake, forest or campgrounds is to be found. I watch on U-tube videos from a guy in Russia, the same thing applies there as well. He's around the globe and yet his videos are in my "backyard." It's so nice to be united by the things mentioned above. Anywhere with anyone.

Last edited:

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Great pictures you 2. It is nice just to get away for a day. I grew up on the other side of lake Michigan from where you were, I guess you were on the west side of the lake. Cool out but beautiful.
It was very relaxing and it's funny how getting away even for a day calms your soul. I literally felt my insides quite and tensions ebb away. You are correct, we live on the west side of the lake (ocean.) Ninety miles across where we live...that's not a lake! Ha ha. If it's more water than I could drink in a life time, it's an ocean! I am going to miss the lake effect once we move, both winters and summers. You were raised in the Dr. Pohl area I believe (could be mistaken on that one.) Saturday mornings there is a veterinarian show on TV. It's called, "Calling Dr. Pohl." I enjoy watching it with my coffee. I wonder if you might of heard of him or even knew him?

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Both cameras take video and I will be experimenting more this year. I sure would like to improve the quality of the videos that I have on the various threads. I have enough battery power to shoot for the whole summer and I just might do that. :)

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Both cameras take video and I will be experimenting more this year. I sure would like to improve the quality of the videos that I have on the various threads. I have enough battery power to shoot for the whole summer and I just might do that. :)
Say ND, I'm wondering if you would like me to send up your way a couple of Physicians I know? We could put them on stand by for you in the event you would like to visit them? Maybe you know them already, Dr. Oak, Dr. Maple, Dr. Pine and Dr. Spruce.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Say ND, I'm wondering if you would like me to send up your way a couple of Physicians I know? We could put them on stand by for you in the event you would like to visit them? Maybe you know them already, Dr. Oak, Dr. Maple, Dr. Pine and Dr. Spruce.
-----> :) Luv's it; :thumbsup: I'm already a patient of Doctor Red Maple and Nurse Tamarack. I have a therapist Doctor Weeping Willow.