• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Pitching a tent in the forest

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
I remember my scouting days that we have a ritual when pitching a tent. First is to check the soil of the ground for there might be trails of ants. We also check the radius for potential pests like bugs and moles. The nearby trees are also checked. One time there was a nest of ants in a tree that some ants were falling on our tent. It was night time when we discovered the biting ants so you can imagine the trouble it had caused. Another potential problem is the waterway. What if it rains? And lastly, the ground should be firm for soft soil is tantamount to be muddy when it rains.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist

upload_2017-10-10_13-54-34.jpeg

This is the standard for camping/canoeing practices ----->
1. Water Safety
2. Protect Yourself from the Sun
3. Keep Cool and Stay Hydrated
4. Avoiding Bears and Other Wildlife
5. Transporting Food
6. Build Campfires Responsibly
7. Getting Lost – and Found!
8. Protect Against Insects
9. Prepare for the Weather
10. Bring the Right Gear
There is far more that just pitching a tent.

dads318is

Novice Camper

View attachment 4281

This is the standard for camping/canoeing practices ----->
1. Water Safety
2. Protect Yourself from the Sun
3. Keep Cool and Stay Hydrated
4. Avoiding Bears and Other Wildlife
5. Transporting Food
6. Build Campfires Responsibly
7. Getting Lost – and Found!
8. Protect Against Insects
9. Prepare for the Weather
10. Bring the Right Gear
There is far more that just pitching a tent.

Care to discuss...?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
....glad to see you back @dads318is. Love to discuss - though it would be more appropriate for me to have said, "This is a standard" apposed to "This is the standard." It's all tapered to training and experience and the terrain you find yourself in.

Example: When putting up a tent you check and clear the ground of debris, check the branches for widow makers, check the direction of the wind and so on. You know the basics and use the same. Example: You don't set your tent up in a river bed or on the ledge of the a rocky mountain etc.

I don't know about you but when we are tripping each person has a task to complete so camp is set up in a few minutes.

Glad to see you!

dads318is

Novice Camper
....glad to see you back @dads318is. Love to discuss - though it would be more appropriate for me to have said, "This is a standard" apposed to "This is the standard." It's all tapered to training and experience and the terrain you find yourself in.

Example: When putting up a tent you check and clear the ground of debris, check the branches for widow makers, check the direction of the wind and so on. You know the basics and use the same. Example: You don't set your tent up in a river bed or on the ledge of the a rocky mountain etc.

I don't know about you but when we are tripping each person has a task to complete so camp is set up in a few minutes.

Glad to see you!
Thanks
I've been around some of the forums but kinda just browsing thru other peoples fun reports. Camped when i was a kid but want to make it a permanent hobby. Gonna have to do some reading and probably will start with some hiking first...not sure. Maybe a club or class til I'm more sure of what I'm doing.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
@dads318is - I like to think you have come to the right place. There are some experienced almost professional campers on this Forum, unfortunately not all communicate with one another. @killeroy154 has years of sound experience and is a very talented guy. As for me - I eat this stuff. So...I'm open to any discussion you want on any camp subject you want - public or private.

The best way to get started is to do it - you will be surprised how fast you learn the skills you need. :)

upload_2017-10-19_11-0-13.jpeg

dads318is

Novice Camper
@dads318is - I like to think you have come to the right place. There are some experienced almost professional campers on this Forum, unfortunately not all communicate with one another. @killeroy154 has years of sound experience and is a very talented guy. As for me - I eat this stuff. So...I'm open to any discussion you want on any camp subject you want - public or private.

The best way to get started is to do it - you will be surprised how fast you learn the skills you need. :)

View attachment 4335
Awesome!! Thanks then in advance for any future help and advice. I'll surely need it. Anyways I'll do some reading and start with some hiking and basics. Kinda figured experience will be the best teacher. Mindful that I'll have questions.[emoji15][emoji56][emoji94]

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Awesome!! Thanks then in advance for any future help and advice. I'll surely need it. Anyways I'll do some reading and start with some hiking and basics. Kinda figured experience will be the best teacher. Mindful that I'll have questions.[emoji15][emoji56][emoji94]

-----> Anytime. :)