• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Pretty doesn't mean safe - The Strid

Esperahol

Over the Pond is a river known as the Wharfe river 'round Bolton abbey. It is slow, wide, and relatively shallow. Then for some ungodly reason it seems to turn on it's side and becomes a narrow stip that may reach all the way to Hades for all anyone knows. This section is known as the Strid and it looks like this:

6316560586_124f3798bd_z.jpg

Or perhaps this:

120482_v1.jpg

Basically it looks like a normal stream, but entering its waters leads to death 10 times out of 10. That's right - 100% fatality. The lesson here is that no matter how innocent or safe something seems don't just jump into it or else we might not see you again.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Norrwen said:
How is it 100% fatality rate? If it's a stream it can't just be magic.
I was wondering the same thing, it almost tempts me to dip my toes in just so I can be the exception. LOL

Esperahol

Norrwen said:
How is it 100% fatality rate? If it's a stream it can't just be magic.
It isn't a stream - it is an entire river and stepping into the water leads to being dragged down and drowned. This is the Wharf river:
100104.jpg

And it lies upstream of the pictures I showed you. Think about it - where is the rest of that large collection of water? And how many bodies have never been recovered?

By the way this is the same river just a bit down the Strid.

Also this TABL here is the answer to your question:
http://elleeseymour.com/2012/04/06/yorkshires-drought-stricken-strid/

That is the Strid after a period of drought. As you can see it is rather rocky and deep and dangerous. That's why there are signs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyworrall/5087816330

Esperahol

Toxique said:
I am guessing that the current pulls you out and then bashes you in the head with the rocks :p
Actually the massive current pulls you in and then sucks you into one of the many little caves or hidden tunnels where you drown. Lots of unrecoverable bodies down there.

R. Zimm

I think what he's saying is that the stream goes underground and once you get pulled into the tunnel, you're gone to who knows where. Hey, it's like your very own "Journey to the Center of The Earth!"

Pzula

I've had a bad experience in the past with a pretty looking flower giving me an infection, but nothing this extreme! The pictures do look gorgeous, but after reading your descriptions on why they're deadly, I'm horrified. :p

I guess they do say "Don't judge a book by its cover".

Esperahol

Norrwen said:
Wow that sounds awesome, apart from the dead people. I should try swimming in there...
Okay, but first you should totally sign this form that in no way gives me all your worldly possessions. Totes legit buddy! Also make sure you jump in at the most crowded part of the Strid. I mean as many people and cameras should be angling about as possible... because. Just because - its not like a...um alibi for me or anything. So when are you going?

Esperahol

Foster said:
That picture is wonderful! I agree too.
It is lovely isn't it? That's how it lures you in... and then Lucifer rises up and drags you into the watery depths. Or something - definitely something fatal.

ACSAPA

Esperahol said:
Toxique said:
I am guessing that the current pulls you out and then bashes you in the head with the rocks :p
Actually the massive current pulls you in and then sucks you into one of the many little caves or hidden tunnels where you drown. Lots of unrecoverable bodies down there.
That is freaking terrifying! I'm surprised they haven't made a movie about it. What a bizarre story, a seemingly pretty river that sucks you into underground tunnels and then you drown and are never heard from again. What a nightmare. I don't ever need to see that. The risk just isn't worth satisfying my curiosity.

Esperahol

ACSAPA said:
That is freaking terrifying! I'm surprised they haven't made a movie about it. What a bizarre story, a seemingly pretty river that sucks you into underground tunnels and then you drown and are never heard from again. What a nightmare. I don't ever need to see that. The risk just isn't worth satisfying my curiosity.
You'll be fine as long as you obey the signs and don't take any dares to try jumping it. It isn't safe. If you want a somewhat safer view you can always see the river Whafe before it gets down there or after it has gone through. It's a nice safe river that is broad, somewhat shallow and a rather "slow".

shylambert

That's pretty scary. I think there's a similar place like that here in Philippines , it's Mag-Aso Falls. It looks like a nice small falls but there are times that the water gets really high after just a few seconds according to some blogs and videos. There are videos made to warn people not to swim on this falls especially during rainy season.

Here are the pictures of the said falls:

Before:
Mag-aso_falls1.jpg

After:
Bohol_Island_River_013-20100306.jpg

Esperahol

You know we have a park around here that spontaneously becomes a lake after rainfall. I would not advise taking a swim because between the snakes and the dangerous currents you are pretty well guaranteed to die.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
This guy seems to make out alive:

But then again, it is mentioned that this portion of the Strid is towards the end of the rough part and he does have a kayak to hold on to so I don't know if you would count him against the fatality rate. You can hear the guy filming shout "He's alright!!" at the end of the video probably because of the deadly reputation this river has.

BMWPOWER

Staff member
I have seen similar rivers, sometimes you cant judge how strong the current is just by looking at it. Be careful out there folks