• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Sleeping pads...

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Sleeping pads...there are certainly a whole lot of them out there.

So what one might be the best? Awe yes...I do recall a thread about "best". Sooooo - I'm not talking about the best but offering a few suggestions.

I have two pads that are well made, constructed with fine material, have been practical and durable and more importantly provide me with enough comfort to be on a cot or on the ground. The are light, making it easy to roll and carry them on a pack if need be.

But I wanted a new one for my cot and since the winter season is coming I wanted something more that I already have. So I researched and did not purchase from the usual sources but checked out Ikea.

Well isn't that interesting.

They have a mattress for $99.00 that is 189 cm in length, 97 cm wide and 10 cm thick. In American that would be 74 3/8 " long, 38 1/4 " wide and 3 7/8 thick. I went back to the other sources and decided to purchase the mattress at $99.00.

The top cover is washable and the mattress does not weigh that much. The product design - Duvet filling; Polyester wadding, Polyurethane foam 1.7 lb/cu.ft. and the ticking is 64% cotton and 36% polyester.

I tried it at home and I'm happy with the purchase. The real test will come when I head out for winter
camp. I'll keep you posted.

upload_2015-10-5_22-44-45.jpeg

upload_2015-10-5_22-42-43.jpeg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
For the hammock lovers -

Eno-Airloft-Hammock-Mattress-Pad.jpg

A mattress pad with detachable panels — smart and simple. The Airloft is the first hammock-specific mattress pad. The three panels on each side snap onto the main 1″ pad to guard against cold spots that usually plague hammock campers. Unsnap the panels and you have a normal mattress pad. At $95, it’s on par with other panel-less pads and seems worth it if you plan to sleep suspended.

gracer

Explorer
Thank you for sharing about your new sleeping pad finds @Northern Dancer. :) I specially liked the first one because it does look light and very comfortable. Perfect especially if there are children on board. It also looks very lightweight and this is one of my greatest consideration when looking for camping equipment.