• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Snakes and insects in forest trail

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
When walking in a forest trail, my main concerns are the presence of snakes and pesky insects. A son of a popular radio broadcaster died of malaria when he was attacked by mosquitoes in the forest trail. Aside mosquitoes, bugs and the itchy centipede can give you an allergy attack. That kind of crawler has hair on its body that can cause severe pain or itch. And how about spiders and scorpions?

rz3300

Explorer
Oh man I cannot do snakes. I consider myself somewhat brave when it comes to the creepy crawlies, more so than most others, but when it comes to snakes you just need to get me away. It is weird why one certain animal can do it, but it does and I just need to remind myself every time.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...it depends where you live I suppose. Rarely do I ever see a snake and in this neck of the woods there are no poisonous species. I take the usual precautions regarding insects but have not really suffered much in that quarter either. At this time of the year black flies, mosquitoes, deer flies and the like tend to be at their lowest ebb. In fact I've seen far more moose and deer than snakes. I can't remember the last time I saw a snake.