• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Stove for Hot Tenting

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I can appreciate the fact that at the time of this posting temperatures are soaring. BUT...I still need to be prepared for winter camping now the sales are on.

So what did I purchase?
A new, in tent wood stove for winter camping. The one I have is older, bigger and a lot heavier. I selected the TMS Portable Military Wood Stove.

I did my research, watched for the sale and purchased the same today.

This is what I liked about it -

"Steel smoke stack" with excellent spark catcher all easy to join up [though I added extra screening to make the spark catcher safer]
It has handles on the top that make it easy to transport
All the items can be put inside the fire box that include (1) legs, (2) stack & spark catcher, (3) poker, and (4) ash rake.

It has a rack on top to hold a coffee pot or fry pan and it can be extended out and used as a dry rack.

It has an air vent on the front door and one on the back of the stove and a door on the bottom to easily remove ash.

I like it. FOR ME the only thing that I did was tighten the bolts, and burn off the paint to prevent smoking in the tent.

There are lots of videos on the net. You can't beat the price and it suits my needs just fine.

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

I will be field testing this stove next week.

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
Pardon me for this comment but I see campers in the US and Europe with advanced equipment and gear. As they say, what will they think of next? But in fairness to that equipment, I had experienced staying in the tent in the cold nights of December. I remember that I was shivering and wishing that I did not go with the scouts on that camping trip. But I was the assistant scoutmaster so how could I not I go. What we used was the bonfire to make heat although we were outside of the tent. So this equipment you had posted can serve that purpose.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
When the temperatures gets to be - 15 (5 in American) it's great to be warmed up before going to bed. Though we often have a campfire in the evening outside, it's the inside temperature that I want to manage. :)

rz3300

Explorer
I cannot really say that I have been too many places where something like this would be necessary, yet anyways. I guess it is always best to know what is out there for your options though in case the opportuinty does come up.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
@katskamper Which one? :) I have eleven of them. Though I will assume you mean the tent that I use my stove in. It is an Alaknak 10 X 10 [Winter - having a stove jack]. The stove would have no problem heating up my 12 X 12 Alaknak or similar product.