• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Taking Care of Diving Equipment (Snorkel, Flippers and Mask)

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Summer camping fun can include swimming using a snorkel, flippers and a mask, when observing the world beneath the deep blue waters. What fun it is to visit the fish and turtles, crayfish and more by using a snorkel to breath fresh air, and using a mask to keep the water from our eyes and fins so that we may skim through the water as quickly and smoothly as a fish.

But often when summer ends and the equipment is no longer in use it sometimes is not as comfortable to use the next time because the rubber has dried out. But now you will know the proper care of your underwater swimming equipment.
  1. First wash the mask, fins, and snorkel in warm, (not hot) water.
  2. Be sure to use no soap.
  3. Make sure they are cleaned completely of mud or sand.
  4. Then dry them thoroughly and rub petroleum jelly into them very well and this will protect the rubber from cracking and rotting.
Also to correct the mouthpiece of a rigid plastic snorkel that digs into ones lower jaw, try immersing the bend of the snorkel into a pot of water almost up to the mouthpiece. Heat the water, checking the snorkel frequently. As soon as the bend becomes pliable, you should remove the snorkel, and insert the mouthpiece into your mouth and bend it to the desired shape. The straight part of the snorkel should lie immediately in front of your ear.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
I've used the same method for molding mouth guards for sports and can confirm that it works.

As for the maintenance, I will be sure to pass on the tips to my friend who is an avid snorkeler

snorkel.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I thought maybe that was you Erik. Since everything is so polluted, the bath tub is the only safe place to stick your head underwater. LOL :)

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Haha, no it is not me but you do have to be careful where you snorkel. I wouldn't want to do it close to any harbours but I think the smaller lakes should be fine.

I like to joke that he was desperate for summer to come even though he claims he was just testing his gear for leaks.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
It would be interesting to know how he got out of that tub. The gear has to be heavy and with the flippers on it would be next to impossible to get out. Of course maybe he is still stuck....or did you help him out? :)

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Haha, no I did not. I think he would have just pushed himself up using his hands and then once he was on his knees he could stand

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Even as a child he learned to test the waters with his scuba gear, as his mom stood patiently by. :)

bathtime.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Then came hunting season and he tested his game calls and other equipment to be sure it was water-proof. :) :)

man in tub.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I think duck decoys. lol :)