• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Taming game animals

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
I had the chance to talk to one of my father's hunting buddies about game animals. What we have in this tropical country are deer and wild boar as the most common prey of hunters although they also have encounters with monkeys and other wild felines. The conversation was in taming those animals so there would be no need to use the guns. All the others in the discussion had a laugh because they thought the hunter was joking. But come to think of it, if you know how to tame those wild animals then surely we wouldn't be needing the gun. How does a dog trainer discipline an unruly dog?

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
Unless you found the wild animal when it was very young, it would be next to impossible to tame it. and if you did get a game animal, like a fawn, and then raise it; would you even want to kill it once it was large enough to shoot and eat ?
We had a tiny fawn once that had either been left by the mother, or maybe someone had killed her, and friends brought the baby to our house and I raised it with goats milk and a bottle until it was old anouth to eat grass and leaves.
Another family Dow the road also had a deer that had been rescued, and now that it was grown, it went off into the woods and then came back now and then.
We thought that would be a good way to get our baby used to being a wild deer, and we took her down there to live with their semi-tame deer.
I just don’t think that catching wild game animals and then raising them for food would work. it is better to raise something domestic, like a calf or a piglet if you want to raise your own meat.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...it can be a tricky question. A lot of it would depend upon your stance. For me - the creatures are wild for a reason and I let it be. Though, I've been delighted with impromptu contact on occasion. Feeding a deer that came out of the forest and trusted me enough to take a crust of bread from my hand was exciting. I always take shelled peanuts for the chipmunks. Other than that I'm not into feeding wild life - it isn't good for them and could be down right dangerous. I agree with @happyflowerlady's wisdom.

upload_2017-11-20_22-19-32.png