• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The reliable pup tent

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
After my scouting days, I was able to buy a pup tent. It is a small tent that made of light material. So easy to set up with 4 pegs and 2 poles. What's fun is that the pup tent is supposed to be for 1 person only but we use it for 2 persons especially during the cold months. In later years, I haven't seen pup tents anymore. The most common here are bigger tents good for 4 or more. And they are made of light materials like the pup tent. However, it is very difficult to assemble. I have been saying that you need a rocket scientist to assemble that kind of tent.

killeroy154

Survivalist
The tent in the back ground was the only one I ever had that resembled the old pup tents. Of course it was a little larger than a 2 person, but it was simple to put up and good for cold weather. It had little vents in the upper corners that could be zipped shut. It was about this time of year when this picture was taken. It was in the lower 20s F and the wind howled all night. We zipped the vents shut in the morning and lit the propane heater to warm a little before crawling out of our sleeping bags. That was the only time I ever used it, I lost it the following spring, wasn't happy about that either.
13c800f34ecaa45452a5a690a7f6546b.jpg

rz3300

Explorer
Well sorry to hear that you lost it and had to part with it. I had a few of similar looking ones that brought back some good memories and I wish I could have them back for a day or two just to get some memories and get a good laugh.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...this is the closest I had in terms of "pup" tent.

Eagle's Camp Scout Bivy Tent

upload_2018-5-15_22-51-1.jpeg
upload_2018-5-15_22-51-18.jpeg

The Coleman Hooligan Tent

upload_2018-5-15_22-53-36.jpeg

I have just given these tents away including an Alpine 8 man pro gold tent

upload_2018-5-15_22-57-50.jpeg

With these give aways my inventory is now down to 5 tents.

This is my new "pup tent" that I purchased last year. It is light weight, durable and comfortable for my tripping (canoeing) needs. It is called the Outfitters Out Back Lodge.

IMG_1326.jpg