• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Trail Down Under Kinzua Bridge In Mt Jewett, Pa

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Recently I did a walk down the steep mountain grade to the area underneath the historic Kinzua Bridge, near Mt. Jewett, Pa. For several years I have wanted to take the trail down to the Kinzua creek and walk up the other side to see the twisted pieces of iron work, remains of the famous railroad bridge that was cut into by a tornado in 2003.

I finally found a hiking partner that could help me down and back up the very steep trail. Going down was terrible as my feet slid on the gravel path and the stone steps placed on the steepest areas were uneven and different sizes. My companion held my hand and arm the whole way down, as I slipped and slid with my toes being crammed forward into the fronts of my hiking shoes. Walking sideways that normally would make going down hill easier was not working to well do to the size gravel used. I was sure my toes would be sore, bruised and bloody at the bottom. Luckily they were not. Even with walking sticks the trip down would have be a dangerous experience.

We made it down and across the little bridge that spans Kinzua Creek, took lots of pictures and then after resting started back up the path. I told my friend don't look up just go forward one step at a time. It took us a while but at least my toes were not hurting going upward and it was easier to balance and stop to rest on the way. Finally after taking long breaks and sitting down to rest many times we made it back to the visitors center.

We met 4 young French men and an Australian couple visiting the United States. That was so cool. After this walk I was stiff and sore but all in all it was worth it, however, never again as I am too old for mountain trails.

www.visitanf.com