• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

TV anchor killed by wasp stings

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
This is not a joke but was real news on tv a few days ago. Nikka Alejar died of sepsis as complication of wasp stings. According to her family, she was watering the garden when a wasp appeared to sting her. It was a simple sting that caused complications so she was brought to the hospital. And later on, Alejar succumbed to sepsis which is a disease of the blood. May this serve as warning to campers to be aware of insects that can be lethal to humans.

It's true - a bee (or wasp) sting can cause serious infections of various kinds. However, it is extremely rare - that's why it makes the news when it happens. For more on this issue see: Fatal Infection after a Bee Sting | Clinical Infectious Diseases | Oxford Academic

Ms Alejar was stung in April and died in July after believing she had beaten the infection ( Nikka Cleofe Alejar ). Usually, one only needs to watch the site of the sting and get medical attention if it enlarges or doesn't go away in a few days.

rz3300

Explorer
This sounds like one of the worst ways to die, and I feel terrible for that person. It reminds me of the saying "death by a thousand paper cuts" but for some reason I think that this one might be worse than that.