• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Wearing shorts or pants?

ashley0323

Novice Camper
Which one would you opt to choose. Normal weather conditions are 80 degrees and runny. I am thinking shorts because of the temperature. Though, I am prone to getting eaten up by mosquitos and chiggers... What would you choose?

missyify

Survivalist
It depends... Normally my irritation over insects is less than my irritation over wearing pants. It depends on how bad it is. I would bring both if I had the space to pack them. I end up reusing pants/shorts if they're not too dirty anyway.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

campforums

Founder
Staff member
It depends... Normally my irritation over insects is less than my irritation over wearing pants. It depends on how bad it is. I would bring both if I had the space to pack them. I end up reusing pants/shorts if they're not too dirty anyway.

Some pants can be pretty comfy, especially when you're camping and you don't exactly care how fashionable you are :rolleyes:

missyify

Survivalist
Some pants can be pretty comfy, especially when you're camping and you don't exactly care how fashionable you are :rolleyes:
My motto is "home is where the pants aren't" lol. I must've been a nudist or something in a previous life (ha) because I hate wearing clothes in general. I do like my bamboo yoga pants and a pair of scrub pants... I can't wait until we get our forever home in the middle of nowhere because outdoor shower is on my list of projects.

Last edited:

gracer

Explorer
I prefer pants whenever I go to the mountains. The trails in our area are mostly surrounded with tall grasses and plants that would leave me all bloody by the time I get to my destination. I experienced wearing shorts while hiking when I was still in my teens and by the end of the hike, I had all sorts of cuts on my legs in different directions. Oohh, it was nasty that I never wanted to experience it ever again. :doctor:

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
My skin is the favorite of insects particularly mosquitoes and fleas so you cannot see me wearing shorts during camping. Especially when the terrain is very rugged, long pants provide protection in case I trip or slide. That is why I wonder when I see those safari in Africa where the hunters wear helmets and shorts. It should be pants. For me, the best is denim pants.

rz3300

Explorer
I almost always war pants and long sleeves, even if it is warmer out. There is too much stuff out there that I react poorly to, that I figure better safe than sorry.

to7update

Novice Camper
Pants is safer for two many reasons that you have already mentioned. One, because of insects. Nothing worse than getting bitten by them and getting pains for days. Second, plants that can hurt us. Pants might make us feel hot, but they do protect us against plants, so they are the best solution for me.

Jasmin Cottontail

Novice Camper
I prefer pants over shorts, not jeans but jogging pants because I feel comfortable wearing them compared to jeans. I believe it's safer to wear pants when going hiking or camping as it can protect you from mosquito bites and other insects. Same with most of the comments here :)

to7update

Novice Camper
Yeah, pants are far better @Jasmin Cottontail, but there is that issue with jogging pants that the fabric is too soft and we might get hurt as well, so nothing like having a another sort of fabric (not jeans of course) that are comfortable, but resistant at the same time.