• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What Are The Real Dangers? How To Identify & Cope With Them

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Many of us have put up articles and opinions about what we believe to be are the biggest threats when camping or hiking on trails in the forest. But are we scaring ourselves and stressing over the little dangers and forgetting the major threats? This video tells about the dangers from a experienced hikers point of view, while explaining how to take care of yourself on the trail and in the camp site so you can really enjoy your trip.
Hope it helps clarify the problems and puts your mind at rest. Please share your comments below.

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
For me, what I consider real dangers in camping trips are 2 things - first is accidents and second is humans. When I say humans, they can be criminals or rebels. There were reported cases of campers being murdered and raped. Animals couldn't do that. With accidents, it is not rare to happen especially when the weather is not cooperating. As they say, mountain trails are slippery when wet so be careful of the ravine. And there were also the accidental shooting of hunters that sometimes kill people. Oh well, we live in a wild world and the only thing that can make us safe is ourselves.

killeroy154

Survivalist
That was a good video. I've heard lots of these concerns from people around here. My wife and I have done lots of day hikes on and near the AT. We never had any problems. The only problems day hikers may have are if their vehicle gets vandalized when parked at a trail head, and getting hurt on the trail. We make sure there is nothing of value in or noticeable in the car when we leave it. As far as getting hurt on the trail, the better in shape you are and the better prepared, like having proper foot wear, clothing, walking staff and good attitude the better off you are. We were in our mid 40s when we first started hiking, it was really a shame we didn't do more of this year's ago. When we are out on a trail in the woods, most of the worries we don't think about except in rough terrain when we have to be a little more cautious with our footing.

We would stop at the park visitor center after a day of hiking, to use bathroom, clean up, change clothing or what ever. We noticed on our first visit they had trail badges you could purchase for a couple of bucks. This gave us ideas of what trail to hike the next time. We would look at trail maps through out the week and determine the difficulty and how long it would take us, as in hours not days. It was fun. This is our plaque of the trails we done that year. The trails ranged from from 2 to 6 miles from the trail heads with varying difficulties. Most had grand views of the mountains or great waterfalls.
152af5904b8cc5a4049a7a65723609f2.jpg

I dream of hiking the AT, but I'm to much of a, you know I like my modern conveniences, and you know how it is sometimes it's the responsibilities and just what you have to do. We love the day hikes no matter what trail.