• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What clothes do you wear when you go camping in the rain?

Profit5500

Explorer
I remember seeing a pic in one of the threads showing a tent on water and laughing about it. If I were to be in the rain I would try wearing either a heavy rain coat or my leather jacket. I had wore my leather jacket one time and the rain did not stick on and made spots like on my coat. I then started wearing the leather jacket more often. What do you wear while camping when it rains?

Personally, I don't go camping when it's raining but if it does rain while I'm there, I normally stay inside my tent. But if I do have to go out into the rain I will wear a raincoat so I don't get soaked. Sometimes, it rains so hard that I'm afraid my tent will end up getting struck by lightning lol. :eek:

campforums

Founder
Staff member
It depends how cold out it is. If it is warm I will simply wear shorts and a t-shirt or tank top because I don't mind getting wet and find that the extra rain gear is more of a nuisance than a comfort. When it is too cold for that I have a rain resistant jacket I will wear along with boots and track pants. Umbrellas also work great but they are not always practical if you need two free hands.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I love the rain - well, most times. When I'm tripping my London Fog camping umbrella is at the ready for sudden down pours, especially if on the water in a canoe. I use a large sports umbrella when I'm at base camp and I have a full rain poncho and a jacket if necessary to keep me dry. Like Blue Mountain if it is a gentle shower I just enjoy the experience. I make sure that my fire site and wood is covered - nothing like soggy firepit to ruin your supper preparation.

Camp ponchos can be used as an emergency tent or shelter as well. You can also get a design that allows you to cover your backpack if you are on the trails. Yep...my dog Reese has a poncho too - used when there is rain all day. Nothing like a wet dog in a tent to smell up the place.

208jwap.jpg
A poncho used as an emergency shelter.

Profit5500

Explorer
I love the rain - well, most times. When I'm tripping my London Fog camping umbrella is at the ready for sudden down pours, especially if on the water in a canoe. I use a large sports umbrella when I'm at base camp and I have a full rain poncho and a jacket if necessary to keep me dry. Like Blue Mountain if it is a gentle shower I just enjoy the experience. I make sure that my fire site and wood is covered - nothing like soggy firepit to ruin your supper preparation.

Camp ponchos can be used as an emergency tent or shelter as well. You can also get a design that allows you to cover your backpack if you are on the trails. Yep...my dog Reese has a poncho too - used when there is rain all day. Nothing like a wet dog in a tent to smell up the place.

208jwap.jpg
A poncho used as an emergency shelter.
That looks cool I can see that it looks well and its camouflaged with the setting. How effective is the camp poncho against the rain?

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
That looks cool I can see that it looks well and its camouflaged with the setting. How effective is the camp poncho against the rain?
Effectiveness will depend on what you buy. If you buy cheap...then it is cheap. I tend to yield to a military type poncho that will provide the protection that I need. Since I'm not out for a few days but for weeks at a time I really do need equipment that I can rely on. I strongly recommend umbrellas - again, really good ones such as a sports umbrella. The umbrella is fast, efficient and you shouldn't be searching through your pack to find it. It will be right there at the side.

There is nothing worse to dampen the spirits than to be wet at camp. :shifty: And there is absolutely nothing more horrid than crawling into a wet sleeping bag at the end of the day. :arghh:

2hp0k8x.jpg
This is one of three umbrellas I use.

Profit5500

Explorer
Effectiveness will depend on what you buy. If you buy cheap...then it is cheap. I tend to yield to a military type poncho that will provide the protection that I need. Since I'm not out for a few days but for weeks at a time I really do need equipment that I can rely on. I strongly recommend umbrellas - again, really good ones such as a sports umbrella. The umbrella is fast, efficient and you shouldn't be searching through your pack to find it. It will be right there at the side.

There is nothing worse to dampen the spirits than to be wet at camp. :shifty: And there is absolutely nothing more horrid than crawling into a wet sleeping bag at the end of the day. :arghh:

2hp0k8x.jpg
This is one of three umbrellas I use.
Well that is what happens when the rain comes in and you got a wet sleeping bag. I would feel like crap too if my sleeping bag was wet due to the rain. The rain is good for the farmers but bad for campers.

You all will laugh at this because I did to but my brother packed some heavy duty black plastic just in case if started raining before we walked back to our camping spots. We took that plastic and hung it among trees to keep all 15 of us from getting soaked. The plastic worked so well in the hard rain that we just set camp where we stopped. We stayed dry and had a good time.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
A great idea that really works Sweetkymom. I use the ultra light tarps for a kitchen fly and other weather protection as I need it. The tents that I use do not require any other shelter. The tarps I have can also be used an emergency shelter/tent though I have never done that. But on those rainy days and a threat of rain? I still have my handy umbrella.

bocat

I just wear a long sleeve camo shirt, a hat, and some swamp boots. I would imagine you'll be pretty much ready to go no matter what kicks off. Your shirt getting wet is not going to kill you but that's coming from a hillbilly. lol

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
It's all about when and where it rains. If I'm out for a week or two I might not be able to afford the luxury of getting wet. BUT...I do agree - When in Rome do as the Romans do. Which I'm never really sure what that might be. :)

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
If the forecast calls for rain, I would wait for another day. But if I am already out camping then I would have my raincoat slicker with hood and water-proof hiking boots, tarp with some extra clothes line, (for drying out) and stay in my tent until the downpour is over with. A light rain is so refreshing and enjoyable that I would be sitting out under my tarp breathing in the cool fresh air. Like mentioned above keeping the camp fire area and wood protected from dampness would be on my mind. As well as, staying warm and dry. :)

Profit5500

Explorer
If the forecast calls for rain, I would wait for another day. But if I am already out camping then I would have my raincoat slicker with hood and water-proof hiking boots, tarp with some extra clothes line, (for drying out) and stay in my tent until the downpour is over with. A light rain is so refreshing and enjoyable that I would be sitting out under my tarp breathing in the cool fresh air. Like mentioned above keeping the camp fire area and wood protected from dampness would be on my mind. As well as, staying warm and dry. :)
I would not mind the clouds it would keep the heat off of me. If it rains then I would refrain from going out.

JoshPosh

Pathfinder
In Hawaii we camp at the beach. So we are always wearing sw board shorts. If we were on the beach swimming or fishing, we wouldn't care if it was raining. But let's assume it's night time and it starts raining. I'll still be wearing board shorts but I'll probably jump into the truck to stay dry or sleep in the tent.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...well that explains your running am muck - HAWAII! I can only imagine what it would be like in your neck of the woods. In this part of the world temperatures can be extreme in one direction or another [all enjoyable] but one has to make changes accordingly.