• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Whаt is еssеntiаl саmping gеаr?

WilliamV

Novice Camper
First аrе yоur Tеn Systеms; Fооd, Wаtеr, Shеltеr, Insulаtiоn, Firе, First Аid, Rеpаir, Nаvigаtiоn, Illuminаtiоn, аnd Sun Prоtесtiоn. Еvеry singlе timе.
Аftеr thаt, it's аll соmfоrt. Whеn I sаy thаt, I mеаn yоu shоuld bring thе lеаst аnd lightеst gеаr yоu саn mustеr. My dеfinitiоn оf саmping (bасkpасking (wildеrnеss)) is соmfоrtаbly surviving аn inhоspitаblе еnvirоnmеnt with аs littlе аs is sаfеly pоssiblе. Sоmе pеоplе sее nоthing wrоng with hаuling аrоund а fivе-pоund tеnt. Оr filling а 65 litеr pасk bесаusе it still hаs rооm. Nоt mе. Sо, kееp it аs light аnd smаll аs yоu sаfеly саn.
Yоur shеltеr systеm is likеly gоing tо wеigh thе mоst, unlеss yоu dо whаt I dо аnd usе а tаrp. I еnjоy соld wеаthеr саmping, sо I dоn't оftеn hаvе tо wоrry аbоut insесts. In bug wеаthеr, I hаvе а militаry bug shеltеr thаt gоеs undеr thе tаrp.
My slееp systеm соmprisеs аn аir mаttrеss аnd а slееping bаg. If it's gоing tо bе pаrtiсulаrly соld, а сlоsеd сеll fоаm (think; а thiсk yоgа mаt) undеrnеаth thе mаttrеss.
My сооk systеm inсludеs а hоmеmаdе аlсоhоl stоvе аnd оthеr bits аnd pаrts I mаdе mysеlf
Аll my сlоthing is mаdе оf еithеr wооl оr synthеtiсs. Thеy wiсk mоisturе аnd dry quiсkеr. Yеs, соttоn kills.

I еnjоy wеаring bооts whеrе I dо mоst оf my hiking аnd bасkpасking, thоugh sturdy trаil shоеs will suffiсе in mоst plасеs.

Wеаr оr hаvе а wind- аnd wаtеrprооf lаyеr, likе а rаin jасkеt оr tесhniсаl jасkеt.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...great list @WilliamV. Sounds like you have a lot of experience and know what you are doing. Would enjoy learning more about your actual camping adventures.

As you might know I'm a four season camper enjoying canoe camping the most. I have so much equipment for so many circumstances that I could open a store. :)

campforums

Founder
Staff member
I have so much equipment for so many circumstances that I could open a store. :)
Yeah, but what are the essentials?

I know it can vary a lot depending on the trip itinerary, but I would say appropriate attire (for hot days and cool evenings), comfortable shoes, a bright flashlight, a tent and some blankets or a sleeping bag and maybe a grill for your food. You really don't need much to get started! :thumbsup:

killeroy154

Survivalist
Wow interesting topic since I was working on next week's list for my nephew and I. We are going to do a 2 day trip down a local river, and spending 1 night on an island. So I was making up a list of what we needed for 1 night, and it looks like a lot of stuff especially the food. Nephew is 19 and in excellent shape, so he needs good meals to keep him going. I on the other hand,,, well I still have plenty of free board left on my canoe with me in it, so my weight is not an issue. If the water line ever gets with in a couple of inches of the gunwale, I'll get a bigger canoe.
b52ecb9cedfaa6abf06b69e67978b8d4.jpg
Anyhow we hoping to stay on this island that's about halfway
41f5112b98df92f42e4dfd115b3bb1ca.jpg
. I wanted to start further up river, but there is a government ammunition area that restricts any pedestrian or water craft on that section.

Anyhow this is the list I just started,
da4b9721afa5fc09514102e22b3b849d.jpg
and I had a question. How would you pack the eggs? Would you crack them in a baggy or container, or would you pack them as whole and uncracked?

Someone asked me once if you would go camping even for 1 night. Yes I would. I enjoy the planning and preparation of it.

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

Faust

Explorer
... I had a question. How would you pack the eggs? Would you crack them in a baggy or container, or would you pack them as whole and uncracked?
You can chance it by using the carton they came in, you can purchase plastic egg cartons or if you like scrambled eggs, crack them into a plastic water bottle at home.
(I own the plastic egg carton, I have used the water bottle trick for French Toast, pancake batter and I needed heavy cream for some reason so I filled plastic bottle with it).

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...if I'm tripping I tend to avoid eggs. Other times I do what @Faust does. I've done some research on eggs on how long they can last in the open. I haven't come to any conclusion as to the longevity. I do know unwashed farm eggs tend to last longer. But as I said I'm not sure.

In terms of essentials - I have a list that it is simply - essentials (musts). I have a name for it...? Most folks are not interested in simplicity because it demands discomfiture. We are not a society of needs but one of wants - and we sure have a lot of those. Just take a tour through any outdoor supply store and check out the junk. For sure - I do not always follow my own advice either. :( Needs based camping is a skill and not one for amateurs.

@killeroy - I'm like you, I do lists - for everything. Every trip no matter how many times I may have done it. I have lists for food/menus as well as equipment. Every October I do a yearly inventory and throw out the abused stuff and give away what I do not intend to use. But you know... I always forget something - so I have a rule, "You forgot it - you can't buy it - do without it!" :dead:

rz3300

Explorer
IT really depends on where you are, and I have had those times when an axe or even a gun was necessary or essential, well, maybe not essential, at least ideally. More often than not though, food and warm clothes are up there.

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
In my scouting days, the only essential items on our minds were the water canteen and the hunting knife. Young scouts like me thought that we could survive with only those 2 things in hand. But in my adult camping days, things changed with the list that included first aid kit and personal needs like insect repellent, soap, etc aside from the tent. Now the list is longer with the eye drops, flashlight, batteries and phone needs such as solar charger.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
In my scouting days, the only essential items on our minds were the water canteen and the hunting knife. Young scouts like me thought that we could survive with only those 2 things in hand. But in my adult camping days, things changed with the list that included first aid kit and personal needs like insect repellent, soap, etc aside from the tent. Now the list is longer with the eye drops, flashlight, batteries and phone needs such as solar charger.
----->
Hope you wore pants - some of us think they are essentials. :)