• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Wow things are heating up.

killeroy154

Survivalist
I am sure glad this sites heating up. I was getting a little worried because it was awfully quiet here. I posted my last camping trip on another site (oh the shame of it! Yes I went to another camping site, I am so sorry) Anyhow, i thought i might share this with y'all. A friend (Spencer) I work with and I took a short trip to a local lake for camping this past weekend. Now my camping escapades revolve around fishing and boats, canoe or motor boat. I don't back pack camp, so I do carry alot of camping gear to which I am constantly struggling to lighten my load. Spencer and I got to the boat launch about 10 am Thursday. There was smoke in the mountains from individual forest fires that stretched south for a hundred miles.
efa8fbf58a282172eb5cb6236cc0c768.jpg
Our destination was a couple of miles away up in a cove where the only way in was by boat or hiking. Once camp was set-up spencer went to work gathering fire wood.
8bea203157963aaa621d51abaa5f3180.jpg
After lunch we took off to go fishing
c6d0f817e676350d98fb42d7d8ee86eb.jpg
9eb2a8071f15dc8fb2d74984aebedcb4.jpg
1db68057ff122f128553afd591101e7b.jpg
That evening we had a nice mixed bag fish fry. The moon was waxing
a39017f87c6cbf98d55c8b98e0ba3938.jpg
Then warm campfire with good company
44be00f7ec639979b17ce1f132939cd1.jpg
We are under drought conditions here in these parts, but there was no campfire bans that we were aware of, but we always exercise caution with our camp fire. The nights dipped down a little below freezing, so I was sure to pack the Mr heater along with a couple extra blankets. We were awaken bright and early to the sound of turkeys. The hen would cluck and old Tom would gooble his head off. I thought my buddy was going to jump out of that bag and take off through the woods to get that ole Tom turkey. He loves turkey hunting. This courtship lasted maybe 10 minutes, and then they just stopped and never made another sound.
c3350efc3fcc2911fe29a303540c77f0.jpg
a206ca96be75a0cea49e465b7e4e2f7a.jpg
After a breakfast of bacon and eggs it was off fishing again. We saw Eagles, deer, ducks and geese
f77b1bbf08802aadd57a596727c7d1d1.jpg
Another gorgeous sunset
06fa7461e1e27ff69b5f1ab332ac07f5.jpg
We had a great time camping. Fishing was a little slow, but that's how it goes.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
I love reading trip logs and I'm glad you decided to post here, I feel like it can get into a negative feedback loop where people don't post because others aren't posting. Then a few people break the silence and things kick off again.

Anyways, it looks like you go some great pictures. You're really making me envious :D

How was the fishing? It looks like you caught a few different ones there. How cold does it get for you down there in the winter? For us the season is sort of coming to an end but are you able to be out boating all year round?

killeroy154

Survivalist
The lakes here in Tennessee sometime freeze over, and if they do its a very thin sheet of ice. Most time in the winter here it might drop to the teens or twenties, but it usually won't last more than a week. It has been unseasonably warm and dry lately. I have been working in the yard past couple of days with no jacket, maybe 60 some degrees outside. The water temperatures on that lake from last week was 60 degrees. This little sprig of basil is pretty and green so far. I don't how it got out of the herb garden, but it's going to end up in a thanksgiving dish
0c12d288894d6bbdfeb1058dbc9dc959.jpg
I just took that to show its not that cold out yet.

@Jason76 is from this area also. He may have a lot to add, and I would like to hear more from him.

How is it in your part of the country?

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
I am in northern Alabama, so in almost the same kind of weather pattern that you have there in Tennessee, @killeroy154 . We brought in all of the plants that are cold sensitive, and it was down into the 20's here last night also.
Your little basil plant seems to be doing just great !
I started a few of those in the Aerogarden last spring, and we had moved them outside for the summer; but it just got so hot and dry towards the end of the season that nothing looked good, even with me watering almost every day.
I have one small basil that was growing an a container and it is inside now that the weather is too cold outside.
I am going to start more herbs in the aerogarden so we can have fresh ones this winter.
We tried growing lettuce in the aerogarden also, and it was growing about as fast as we could use it for salads and sandwiches; so I might put some of that in the smaller aerogarden, just for the fresh lettuce leaves.
IMG_0186.JPG

The coldest nights we have had recently have been in the mid-50s. Unfortunately I haven't attempted to camp in anything colder than that, but maybe someday I will try winter camping here in Northern California.