• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Your Camp Menu Plan

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I thought I had things planned when it came to setting my menu. Apparently not.
upload_2017-6-27_0-48-20.jpeg

As experienced as I am I think I muffed it on my last trip.

I ended up throwing out a lot of food that I didn't use.
SO

I'd be interest in re-learning the skill and looking at
what you do when planning your menu.
Let's say a seven day cycle to get started.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Here's my thoughts, for what it's worth. I would say your knowledge would far exceed what I know. I have never been on a camping trip where I couldn't get out to get some grub. If I am going alone it is easier to plan. I try not to pack a lot of parishables. Maybe some bacon, eggs, bread, brats, milk or some type of meat burgers in small portions. The other stuff will be small sealed packages of rice, beans, potatoes, oatmeal, tuna and stuff that packs well with no refrigeration, and some of this stuff, that comes back from my trip unopened, can be stored and used for the next trip. I've read some articles written by guides in the Boundaries Water Area explain their meals and what they pack, and they have done it enough that they have a system. I hate coming back with half opened bread, meats, milk and stuff like that. Usually it'll spoil quickly, what a waste. So this camping, survivalist wannabe of a fat suburbanite is all ears.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Good Stuff @killeroy154. Looking back I think that I was so anxious about getting away I over compensated and didn't use my head. All the open stuff (you mentioned) was ditched. Most of the pasta, sidekick packages, and other assorted foods were given to the food bank. With all that I still had supplies that I put back on the shelve. As you can envision I had far more than I needed for a 21 dayer. I also kept my Bush Bean samples given out as part of a promotion. :)

Ya...next trip a whole lot lighter and certainly very much so for the canoe trips in August.

killeroy154

Survivalist
21 days must've been fabulous. I wouldn't know how to plan for that. I am bad to eat to much, and then I don't feel well when I sleep. I do better with less food, but it's hard when you are out in the wild.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I'd gladly plan for longer - I have the equipment. Base camp is like staying at a cabin.

I tend to eat less primarily because I've learned to cook one pot meals. I did take my stove/oven along but didn't use it as much as I had planned. That probably contributed to the over abundance - I didn't get around to baking those apple pies etc.

I'm toying with the idea of being away for all of July and August next year. Who knows, it might be possible. The only thing that holds me back are my responsibilities, cash, and a place to build a tent platform.

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
This is my menu in the wilderness camping of yore. As they say, it’s a man’s world so we have to be prepared to go hungry. Rice is the most essential for us being a staple food. For a 3-day camping trip, 1 kilo is enough for a person. Other food items I bring – canned sardines, pork and beans, corned beef, dried fish, candies, bread that lasts. Basically, that’s my menu in those days. I never rely on the food that we would catch, it is better prepared than be sorry later. By the way, I did not include drinking water because it is part of the basic items you bring on a camping trip.